For the love of God fix the auto ripple

EyeswideOpen

Hi,

I have so many unfinished projects that makes it impossible to use another editor, and i really do not want to use another one, cause i think videopad is one of the best out there.

I am stuck on version 4.48 because the other versions have the auto ripple when you want to extend a bit of a footage, It pulls all the other footage/images along with it, same goes with the audio, when stretching it messes up the whole project and nothing is in place. 

This issue is addressed before but i am really desperate here, why the hell is it set on Auto Ripple, it is like a big bug that needs fixing.

Please help and if it is not going to be fixed i am trying to finnish up what i still have not done and stepping over to Shotcut.

Still my best regards cause i do love your program.

Ripple applies to a GAP, as when deleting a clip.  Right-click CUT and DELETE (ripple) often do the same thing.  Right-click | DELETE should leave a gap.

When extending a clip those to the right will naturally move right. That's correct, and there's no gap.  If audio/video are linked, they will track.

To apply a simultaneous move to other clips, first select them.  Then right-click a selected clip and GROUP CLIPS.  To keep unlinked audio tracks in place, right-click at the left of the track and LOCK it.

To extend a clip while shortening the beginning of the following clip, first shorten that clip by dragging its leading edge.  Hold <alt> to prevent rippling.  This should leave a gap.  Extend the prior clip to fill the gap.  In case of a mistake, hit <ctrl-Z> (UNDO | EDIT) to go back, step-by-step.

If possible, let's see a video of the action that you dislike, as what you describe is unclear.  Upload to a free server, get a public (shared) link and post it here.

Extending a clip...

Extending (hold down <alt>) while overriding (shortening) the following clip...

These behaviors have varied with different versions through the years, but you can always test holding down <shift> or <alt> to achieve your goal.

In  the vid you are working with just one track and that is indeed doable, only with multiple tracks it is a problem.

I will try to work with the shortcuts you gave, but i am afraid i have to switch back to the older version where everything stays in place.

Thanks for your feedback

Can't spot these issues.  Please share a multi-track project and list a few of your specific clip extension steps, so they can be tested by others...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree about the auto-ripple. That should not simply be the default behavior--the user should be allowed to CHOOSE whether it's the default behavior. "Grouping" does not work properly--I keep finding audio clips in v13.08 getting out of alignment with the clips they were "grouped" with because of this "ripple" behavior, apparently on the video track.

As far as I can tell, it seems to happen anytime an audio clip I'm moving overlaps a video clip in the timeline--suddenly everything "ripples" and everything afterward on one of the tracks is no longer correctly aligned, in spite of its clips being "Grouped" with the corresponding ones from the other track(s). So then I have to manually fix each one of the later clips as I go, which is a real nuisance and waste of time.

If I remember to use "Alt" every time, maybe that will stop it, though I'm not entirely confident after I've seen some other weird behavior while moving clips that I had to undo, but more to the point, why do I have to remember to press another key? In Reaper, I can easily turn "ripple editing" off or on as I please. In other words, the developer thought about the user experience and gave us a way to choose our own workflow, rather than imposing what they thought "better" on the user. And it can edit video, too, even if it's limited and clunky for effects, so now I'm wondering if I should just make my cuts there.

Seems that you may be referring more to 'snapping' than ripple.

That behavior may vary with each install and has changed through the years as decisions (based on user input) were made.

In 13.x, here just now, dragging right at a clip boundary never snaps, <alt> or no <alt>.  A gap is left.

And a right-click | CUT ripples.  So does right-click | RIPPLE or pressing the DEL key. 

A right-click | DEL leaves a gap.

All grouped clips are affected and this seems consistent if the intended clips are selected.  Miss one, and it's messed up, of course.

If possible, create a video that clearly displays unwanted behavior.

File suggestions at https://www.nch.com.au/suggestions/index.html?software=VideoPad

Borate, I am not talking about snap, I'm talking about ripple. I just made a couple screen recording clips using Debut, first in the version 11.71 you linked after installing that over my prior 13.08 install, and second in 13.08 after reinstalling over that. I was not able to get the slight alignment shift issue I kept getting before, but you can clearly see moving the audio to overlap with a video clip is treated as a ripple edit, whereas if there is no video clip in the same area of the timeline, everything else stays put. 

In addition, in 11.71, when I tried clicking "shift" to disable Snapping, since you mentioned that, I got this weird blue highlight thing happening in apparently random places on the timeline, and suddenly the timeline stretched out or I ended up in a different part of it and I lost my place and had to start over. I tried again in 13.08 and in that case, if I hit Shift before selecting the clips (using Ctrl+left click to select two at a time), I apparently couldn't move the clips at all. Whereas if I selected the clips, then hit shift while keeping them selected, it still seemed like nothing was happening, but at least in some cases, when I let go, they ended up moving--but I couldn't tell where they would move to because it didn't show me until I let go.

How do I upload the video clips I made of my screen?

The blue area is normal when <shift> is pressed like this.  The position of the pointer when <shift> is clicked defines the selection area.  Right-click it for options.  The blue selection can also be drawn by placing the pointer on the red cursor in the thumbnail area.  It becomes a two-headed arrow.  Drag it.

To create a link to files, upload them to a free server, get a shared (public) link, and post it here.  If using Google Drive change "restricted" to "anyone can view."

Holding <ctrl> while clicking clips selects them individually.  To select a range  hold <shift>, click the first clip and then the last.  All in the range will be selected.

When moving a typical clip that has linked audio and video, shifting either will shift both, to maintain sync.  If that's not desired, right-click on the video or audio track of the clip and UNlink.