Stange audio issue

Uberprutser

I got videopad v10.16 running on both my windows 10 desktop and laptop, with the latest system updates.

The project I'm working on is on an external usb hard drive.

When I open the project on my desktop computer all is good.

But when I move the external hdd to the laptop, one audio clip is suddenly playing much louder. The volume settings are the same and there is no audio effect.

The waveform showed in the timeline of the laptop is much higher then on the desktop. And there is a lot of audio noise. So it looks/sounds like that clip is somehow amplified a lot.

I would have added some screenshots but I don't think this is possible :(

Any thoughts on this? Because it's driving me mad!

Unfortunately deleting all the cache files and disabling the audio normalisation option did not solve my issue.

I also tried v10.12 on another computer and that works without any strange audio problems.

Very stand and frustrating! I'm excluding data corruption as a possible source of problems. But I have no idea where to look next :(

Does the distortion apply to a file that is of a different format than others?   What format?

Share the file or that portion of the project and someone will check it out.

Perhaps it's a codec? issue?

Something to try on the laptop...

Close VP, then delete all files in these folders.  Reboot and reinstall Videopad.

"C:\Users\<PC name>\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Components"

I just discovered a second clip in the same project that has the same problem. The audio is not distorted it is just played back at at-least twice the volume. And again the waveform in the vp editor is representing that. On the desktop pc the waveform is near the baseline, on the laptop the same clip is is almost maxing out. Probably to a point where distortion could happen. I can also hear lots of audio noise on both the effected clips.

I copied the project to two different external SSD's and both have the same problem.

Let's see the project...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.