Under Video Editing Options Which Setting is Better?

SC Steve

I noticed that there are 3 choices under Video Editing Options....Default/ None (CPU)/ and Intel Graphics.  Which option gives the best performance? I'm looking to improve the Export process since it fails 40% of the time and takes longer than I would like.

What version is being used?  Install the latest.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Default is usually fine, but it won't hurt to test the other settings.  In what manner does it fail occasionally - any error messages?  What are the PC's specs:  CPU/GPU/RAM?

Submit a project that you have timed when exporting.  How long did it take and what were the export settings?  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Confirm that the video driver and Direct-X are current...

AMD / ATI users: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
Intel users: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx
nVidia users: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Update DirectX:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113

Thanks for responding so quickly!

I'm running V11.45. This version and several before this will either freeze or fully crash during export (no error messages but when the program is restarted it asked if I want to use the auto-save project). I've tried at least 5 versions before V11.45 with the same results.

My desktop is 1 year old....11th gen Intel i5 and build in intel graphics 730 (updated to latest driver). RAM is 8 I believe.

What is the default setting using? CPU and GPU at the same time?

So I guess there is no harm in exporting a project and try all 3 settings to compare?

Thanks

Cannot say for certain, but the default likely uses GPU when appropriate, along with CPU.

If possible, install the latest version and submit a project whose export you have timed.  Don't upload the exported result.  List export settings.

Just wanted to give some follow up. I changed the Video editing option from default to Intel graphics. For the first time ever, I was able to create an entire 8 min video without a hiccup. Usually in the past export would freeze once or twice and I'd have to restart the program, or when adding files along the timeline Videopad would freeze and I'd have to restart the program. Something would always happen.

Well, no issues this time. Maybe it was just beginners' luck but I'm keeping it set to Intel Graphics for now.

So now I'm wondering, if I get a dedicated graphics card will performance improve even more? i.e. time to export could be less than it is now?

It's possible that higher end video via a dedicated card would improve performance.

Another thing to test is under OPTIONS | ADVANCED and choose None (CPU only)

That should eliminate the graphics adapter from the equation, though rendering might be slower.

If you take a few minutes to share the project, as instructed above, someone here will see how it performs for them and report back.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm satisfied with having it set to the graphic card for now. I did try the None (CPU only) setting and export of the video was much slower. I produce youtube videos 1-2 times a week so I'll have a better idea keeping it set to the graphics card over the upcoming weeks.

Update...so far so good. Videopad has never worked better since changing the Video Editing Options to Graphics. Not sure if this is just with my desktop or should be a general recommendation to try when having any issues. Maybe the software team can do runs with the 3 options and see if there is a general improvement by having the graphics GPU run the show? Just an idea.