Export .mp4 really, really slow after upgrade to 12.33

VP User

Been using VP for 6+ months and made lots of vids (probably 50+). It's been working perfectly and love the tool. Just upgraded to 12.33. With previous version 30 min .mp4 export file would take appox. 1 to 2 hours. Now for about same duration / size of file, it's taking 12+ hours. Even when I start at night, still hasn't completed by the morning. The previous version was perfect for my home use so how can I downgrade? New version is completely un-usable due to the latency. Seen other users having same issue but haven't seen a solution so hoping someone can help.

Older versions are available here.  Ignore any virus warnings.

Though other reports of slow exports may result from different issues, we would like to see your project for analysis.  Please take a few minutes to share it - either with a link here or to me in a Personal Message.  Click the envelope at the top right of this forum.  Just follow these instructions closely and we'll take a look.

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I worked for Pinnacle Studio for many years, but decided to change the editor due to frequent failures in Pinnacle. I chose your VideoPad editor and decided to make the first video. I usually do it in 4K 60 FPS HEVC. I was surprised by the extremely low speed of editing a 2-hour-long video. It is about 10 times slower than in Pinnacle. The video has been mounted for 30 hours!!! At the same time, my computer is only 20% loaded. My computer is an i7 9700 16 GB SSD NAND RTX2060. In Pinnacle, such a video is mounted for 2-3 hours. How to solve this problem? I can't wait days for processing. Now the memory is used only by 30%, the SSD disk is idle, the video card is loaded by 15%, and the processor is 20%.

And also, how to put a bitrate of 80 mb/sec in the program? So far, it turns out only 40.

Thanks

Sincerely, Alexander

When you say "mounted for 30 hours" are you referring to loading and caching of a project or actual editing once all content is cached?

Slow HEVC loading is being studied by the programmers.  Proxy editing or AVC content can work around it.

When you state "80MB/sec bitrate are your referring to the export video settings?

For 30 hours, the video is exported to a file with a resolution of 4K and 60 fps for a duration of 1.5 hours. There are no effects.

4 hours ago, borate said:

When you state "80MB/sec bitrate are your referring to the export видео?

Yes. In the settings, I can set the maximum bitrate to 40 mb/sec. My original video has a bitrate of more than 40 mb/sec.

4 hours ago, borate said:

When you say "mounted for 30 hours" are you referring to loading and caching of a project or actual editing once all content is cached?

Loading and caching of video files are normal, in three streams with maximum load on the computer. I'm talking about something else, about exporting the finished video to a file.

Export H265 bitrate settings shown in v12.33 here are image.png  A # can also be inputted manually.

But that's no guarantee that the codec is capable of the specified bitrate.

As for slow exports, please share your project so it can be analyzed.  This takes but a few minutes and can be private to me via the envelope at the top of this forum.

Just follow this procedure step-by-step...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Hello.

Thanks. The project is large, I will unload part of it. The export is slow regardless of the size of the project.

Now the project size is 50 GB and there are files over 1 GB that are not uploaded to the cloud. Later I will rebuild the project specifically for you and upload it.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/xUZpWSrjvQmYMA

The link posted a video of the video processing speed of 2.7 K. The processing speed is gradually decreasing.

With respect,
Alexander

Thanks for sharing.  The download was almost 20GB.  VP reported numeous missing files - perhaps the ones that you didn't mean to include.  Thus, there are many gaps in the timeline.

Because the project is 4K, caching time would be inordinate for its full 39 minutes.  This suggests using Proxy editing, a common practice with NLEs where much smaller files are edited, then the original are substituted at export.  https://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/26563-proxy-editing/ to greatly reduce PC load.

Or the project might be broken into small chunks - perhaps a few gigs each - with each exported, and later assembled into the final.

Using the 64-bit 12.33 release, the gaps were eliminated and a one-minute, two-second extract was exported at 480, AVC, 60fps.  That took about 15 minutes.   Extrapolating from that, export of the full project at HEVC 4K seems prohibitive.

The jerkiness on panned shots shows up in another NLE as well, though they are clean in a viewer??

The program is being constantly improved and these issue have been reported.  Stay tuned.

I created a project specifically for you, there should be no gaps. Most likely, not all files managed to synchronize with the cloud. The size of the project uploaded to you is 37 GB. If necessary, you can download it again, now all the files are in the cloud.

With respect,
Alexander

After caching, play is seamless on the timeline.  Jerkiness is seen on panned shots, but it's the same in another NLE, hinting that this may be a file issue.  Test shooting at other formats or settings.

After 30 minutes HEVC 4K @60fps Smart Max progress reports export is 7.5% completed, at video position 5:45 .  Do the math - projects to about 13 hours.  They're working on it.

Suggestions...

• Use the 64-bit release.
  • Break editing into ten-minute sequences.  Export each, then assemble them later.
  • Lower export resolution, at negligible quality loss IMO, to HD or 2K and try AVC (H264) encoding.
  • Consider Proxies, to make loading faster and editing smoother.

I lowered the resolution to 2.7K and switched from HEVC to 264, but it didn't really help, the export time of 1.5 hours takes 24 hours. The video files are taken from iPhone XR, iPhone 12 pro and GoPro 7. I worked with them a lot in other editors, there were no such problems. There are no complaints about the speed of editing and uploading videos.