""Buffering preview...please wait"" with 4k HDR video from DJI osmo action 3 camera

peter234

When I want to process videos that I have taken with my new DJI Osmo Action 3  (4K, 30 frames, HDR) Videopad stops, the picture freezes and I just hear the sound, then the picture becomes jumpy and moves every 10 seconds or more while the sound is good and I see this at the bottom left: "Buffering preview..please wait" .

I have 64 GB Ram and intel core I9-9900k processor, Dell computer, very powerful. 

I don't have this problem with my videos from my Sony camera, even the 4 k ones.

What is the problem. What should I do? Can I change anything in the settings? Or is these files too powerful for Videopad home edition? 

For UHD projects use the 64-bit version.  If unlicensed, it will be a trial.

Allow the green line, above the timeline of each video clip, to fully complete.  That indicates that the clips have been cached.

Also, watch the blue ribbon under the preview window.  It eventually should turn from blue to purple, indicating that the sequence is cached.

This can take time, but when both those ribbons have completed, playback should be seamless.

Please share a DJI file and someone will test whether they can replicate your result.  This can be private, or just post the link here.  Follow these steps...

Upload the file/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

If problems persist, it may be necessary to employ a technique commonly used by many editing systems.

See https://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/26563-proxy-editing/#comment-67619

Thanks for your advice. I notice the green line you mention, and it seems like where it is on, I can see the video without any gaps. Also I have bought the latest version of Videopad and when I was buying it was not mentioned what bit version it is. I had only one option. How could I check out the version? 

Thanks for your advice. I notice the green line you mention, and it seems like where it is on, I can see the video without any gaps. The problem is with the files with my new Osmo Action 3 I have to wait a "long time" for the green line to be filled up and ready to view, unlike the files with my 2 year old Sony camera or my older version of Action Camera.

Also I have bought the latest version of Videopad in Nov this year, and when I was buying or downloading it, it was not mentioned what bit version it is. I had only one option. My version which I installed recently after I bought it is  version  12.28.  

Can I now install the file that you mention? I have downloaded it. Do I have to pay for it or I just can install it?  From the name of it it sounds like it is a more advanced version as the name is Videopad Version 12.33.

Many 'updates' are simply maintenance releases.  If you recently purchased, the current v12.33 (64) should be fine.  Just over-install it.  No charge.

And there's never a mandate to update;  the release that you purchase will keep working, even after the six-month free upgrade grace period.  You can always check out a newer version.  Just retain your old installer and registration info.

Please upload one of your Osmo files so others can see how it acts.   And, yes, with UHD content, caching can take time.

I installed the 64 bit version  and it is working, but the speed for the files is the same and slow. 

Here is a link to one of the files from DJI Osmo Action 3 camera that takes a long time to be processed and ready to work on:

Can you please tell me is there a way that Videopad can process it faster when I upload it to Videopad so that I can work on it. 

I changed the access.

Caching for that 1.6GB HEVC file took 18:45.  Once done, the file (or fully cached project) can be reloaded in just seconds - as long as the cache hasn't been cleared.

Proxy editing would be a help here, where a smaller file is substituted for editing and the originals swapped back for export.  It's common practice with many editors.

Prism can batch convert files to smaller sizes, which will load much faster in VP.

Your project might look just fine at lower resolution;  no substitution necessary.

If the camera can record using H264 encoding (which may be the case with the Sony camera), that should be speedier when importing into VP.

Check the Sony's stats.  One easy way to do that is to install MPC-BE, an all-purpose, free media player.  Click the FILE menu, then PROPERTIES.  This file..

image.png

Please leave your link up for a few days, if possible.

After your original file was converted to AVC (H264) encoding at the same resolution it loaded in less than ten seconds.

Thanks for your message. I am not a very technical person and takes time to check your message and understand the details. 

Yes, I have set the OSMO Action to record in another format (HEVC) because the quality is higher. It was suggested to me, now if I return to H264 I will have a lower quality clip made by my camera. I am sure my Sony format is H264.

Do you mean that now I can put this file in PRISM and it will give me a H264 clip, and then I can put it on Videopad and the quality of the product I get will be exactly like if I had put my original clip on Videopad?  Also, the home version of Prism which is free, can it make that conversion or do I have to buy Prism to be able to do that?

Or waiting for a long time is the only option I have? I was wondering if Videopad might have a setting for working with HEVC files that will make it fast to cache?

There's no setting, but agree that HEVC caching is very slow ... and that's been reported.

It's doubtful that you will see deterioration with your content if shooting or converting to H264 (AVC) or a lesser resolution.  That's the reason the link to the AVC export was supplied.  Right-click and SAVE VIDEO AS. Then you can compare the quality of the AVC against the original.

Sorry, but don't know the limitations of the Prism free version. Test it.

Thanks for your posts and advice. I know a lot more now. I think I will stick with HEVC  and will just have the patience for it to be cached.

But I hope in later releases you resolve this caching problem and also look forward to 5.3K and higher on Videopad.