Can't edit video effects.

40U538072

Out of the blue when I set a video effect on a video clip, the effects panel doesn't display. I can choose the effect to add but the setting for it doesn't show up and I can't get it to show up. How can I get it to show up? Basically, my effects properties won't show up and I can't edit them.

Three things to try, in turn...

First Save Project File AS.  Do this routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the caret to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

1.  Close Videopad.  Relaunch, but don't load anything.  Open OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.

2.  Reinstall the program.

3.  Install the latest release.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

If none of these measures is the fix, come back here.

Unusual.   Three more things to try...

1.  Launch VP with a right-click and Run As Administrator.

2.  Close VP, then use Windows Explorer (the file manager) to delete all files in these two folders...

"C:\Users\<account name>\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Components"  (or the path without the x86)

Reboot.  Then reinstall the latest version.

3.  Share the project and someone here will see what's going on.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

My drive is pretty much full. I can't and won't add more files into it just to make sure the drive doesn't run out of space. And I also ran out of space on my OneDrive and I have it disabled as a result and can't reenable it. I am going to try rebooting my pc though and see if it fixes it. I will respond with an answer as soon as my pc boots.

-0-0-

Restarted the pc and still the effect properties won't open.

Are there any other tips that I can try? I don't know if I minimized the window, but I can't seem to get it to show up so I can't figure it out.

Okay. I have successfully updated Videopad editor and unfortunately it didn't fix my issue. 

-0-0-

Okay, I was able to send this project to Google Drive. The issue still happens to me in this project. https://drive.google.com/file/d/111HqIAs3dG1c8c5mZhDbWvW6RHlrFZH-/view?usp=share_link

Just about out of ideas here.  That behavior has never before been reported.

In lieu of not being able to see the project, suggest you try starting another project.  Does it also fail to open an effects window?

Did you delete the suggested files in the two folders - then reboot and reinstall?  If available, try another PC.

The effects window can be opened via toolbar icon, the menu bar, or clicking on the F in a clip's thumbnail, or even via the Menu FILE drop-down.

image.png   image.pngT

The Google link is to the VPJ control file, which isn't of use in itself.  Follow the instructions above to create a folder that contains that file + all the source files.

No, that's just the VPJ.  First, have the project on the timeline.  Then go to FILE | Back Up Project Files to a Folder or Save PORTABLE project as.

This will create a numbered folder contained all the files.  Upload that folder.  Then the project can be seen here just as you do there.

Here's the current release.  What version were you using originally?

It won't do that for me apparently. I can't seem to send the file.  I was using v10.33 64 bit but eventually I was able to get v12.28.

The only thing I put on the project was a blank color clip. That might be why no file show up.

-0-0-

I added a video to it. I checked the folder and now there are files connecting to the project. Sorry for that. Here you go https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zX4-PyITrAkPAl3QZNUDWzrw4FdWWkTg?usp=share_link

Hopefully it works this time.

Your project video also is normal, as is the ability to select effects.  Be sure to select (click) on the track prior to clicking the Video Effects button.

Try the FX button on the clip itself, which is blue because there's a ZOOM effect already in place.

1.jpg

As a last ditch effort, do this...

Close Videopad, after backing up the project of course.

Install this free utility.

Instruct it to delete Videopad and when it requests scans for registry files delete all those items as well.

Reboot, and reinstall Videopad.

Your projects should all be stored in a PC folder.  Here's that's a subfolder of the Documents folder, titled VideoPad Projects.

But wherever they're kept, always back up - as described earlier.

Removing the program should not affect projects stored there.

Revo Uninstaller won't run.

Have to completely uninstall the program to fix it and it worked for me. I didn't have to delete folders. How did I cause the issue? I want to know what, so I don't cause it again.

Want to suggest making an update to fix this in case it happens again. Might send a suggestion to the Rating Logged page.

Did you uninstall with Revo, or via a standard Windows program uninstall?

Have no clue as to why it happened, but you can file a report here.  Reference this thread.

There's a hint here that this may be an issue with the PC.  But that's conjecture.

One more thing you might try if it reoccurs... go to OPTIONS | Advanced tab.  For the GPU video processor, choose None (CPU only).

image.png