Auto-launch of NCH Suite/ VideoPad?

libove

I have the NCH Suite app installed on a Windows 10 desktop. From time to time, it, or VideoPad which I've installed through it, automatically starts up. It should NEVER do that. Software should start ONLY when I explicitly ask it to.

Where this is configured? .. so I can disable it.

Also, why does the NCH Suite not appear in Windows' list of installed programs (i.e. AppWiz.CPL)?

It smells bad.

Thank you.

• borate changed the title to Auto-launch of NCH Suite/ VideoPad?

See latest post, below.

There's no provision to start VP with Windows.  But click <alt-ctrl-esc> and then the Startup Apps tab to see if it's listed.  It shouldn't be.  Did you close the program before the last shut down, sleep or hibernate cycle?

However, Videopad should show up as an item in the Control Panel | Programs and Features list.  In Win 11, type "add or remove programs" into the search bar.

image.png

It's not in Startup tasks. I found it in Task Scheduler. One task per program:

1. WavePadSevenDays

C:\Users\libove\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Program Files\WavePad\WavePad.exe -sevendays

2. VideoPadCacheDeleteAll

C:\Users\libove\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Program Files\VideoPad\VideoPad.exe -bgtask delcache

I've deleted the scheduled tasks. Rude.

The -delcache task, yes, is about cache (though it wouldn't be surprising if it caused the program window to open).

The other comamnd -sevendays, also, likely could cause a window to open.

This was not at Windows sleep/wake, hibernate/wake, nor reboot/login. It was during normal operation.

As for Add/Remove programs - the individually installed programs, yes, I do see - publisher NCH, though alphabetically they appear under the individual names "Prism Video File Converter", "VideoPad Video Editor, and "WavePad Sound Editor". The NCH launcher/installer does not appear in the list of installed programs at all.

I have been seeing the same behavior.  On several systems recently, suddenly, videopad starting itself, trying to access internet.

No, nothing to do with videopad open before sleep or hibernation.  Why would someone complain about a program opening if they already have it open?

On this computer,  videopad hasn't been used for quite a while, though recently (unfortunately, apparently) has been updated. 

If I can't figure out why it is starting up, and stop it, it will be uninstalled. 

This is b.s. behavior.

libove:  did deleting the 2 task scheduler apps fix the problem?  i've seen those task in the past and hoped that they really only did what they said. 

ver 12.25.   

Don't what it was trying to access.  I wasn't wasting my time investigating.  I use win10 firewall with an app that intercepts outgoing and asks me for permission, or establish a rule.  I just said no.  Then, vp was now open on screen.

Iac, why did vp suddenly startup?  And not just on this system.  Even if it wasn't trying to access internet, why did it suddenly start?. 

""C:\Users\<account name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"  There is a more complete list of system startup programs in task manager> startup tab.

As for the startup folder, no it isn't there. plus, apps in startup folder, start during, (ready?)  at startup!  Not 4 hours later, or coming out of sleep (or hibernation, if you use that function).

My sense is that this happens coming out of sleep, though I haven't kept detailed records, so could be wrong.  And not every time out of sleep, likely maybe once per day. ie: random.

The important question is where it is being called from.

Have received confirmation that if VP is not run for a period of time (unknown), that it may auto-start.  Intended behavior.

Have never witnessed that here, likely because it's manually launched so frequently, and this thread appears to be the first to mention the behavior.

Your complaint has been forwarded to management.  Add your feedback here.

Do you see how suspicious this is?  Programs can't determine "a period of time", if they aren't running.  Programs can't "auto-start".  Something has to call them.  Your comment indicates that VP or NCH software is running, either constantly, or on a schedule, in background.  What starts them to check the date?  And why start after a period of time.   All bizarre .

The 3 tasks in task scheduler claim that they have not run at all, last run time was in 1999, and next run time is different times this month.  Somehow, I find this all unbelievable.   I have disabled all 3.

True.  I already have process explorer.  It doesn't give useful info if it isn't running when right before vp launches.  And if one doesn't know the name of process that calls it, you can't search for that process before it launches.  

But it did launch a few hours ago.  

So far, no questions have been answered.

@astro46 I haven't seen the re-start since I deleted the two scheduled tasks, but since this hasn't happened frequently and it didn't seem to happen on a regular schedule, I would not be confident drawing any conclusion from it. On the other hand, we haven't seen any other place that would seem to launch them, and although this is strange and unacceptable behaviour, we don't have actual indication of malice/malware, so it's a reasonable suspicion that the scheduled tasks were what caused it.

@borate you said that "Have received confirmation that if VP is not run for a period of time (unknown), that it may auto-start.  Intended behavior."

From where did you get that confirmation?  How is VideoPad autostarted after some period of time?  WHY did NCH make this super-suspicious behavior?

1 hour ago, libove said:

From where did you get that confirmation?  How is VideoPad autostarted after some period of time?  WHY did NCH make this super-suspicious behavior?

lol.   Not only suspicious, but very badly executed.  Trying to do something sneaky, and the app opens in front to notify you!!

1 hour ago, libove said:

@borate you said that "Have received confirmation that if VP is not run for a period of time (unknown), that it may auto-start.  Intended behavior."

The info came from the company.  Nothing further on how/why this occurs for apparently only you two.  Cannot recall it having been reported here.

21 minutes ago, borate said:

The info came from the company.  Nothing further on how/why this occurs for apparently only you two.  Cannot recall it having been reported here.

Please ask "the company" for MUCH more information.