Purchasing

AssyEng

Does anyone know a workaround for Inventory in EA. When a purchase order is recorded the goods immediately go into inventory. This is unrealistic and potential for major problems. Often a PO is written and goods are not received for up of a couple of months. Some sooner some later.

Second, the goods do arrive they need to be entered into inventory. Often shipped to customers immediately. This software apparently does not enter items in inventory until the bill arrives. The bill can arrive several weeks after the goods.

I entered an opening balance for items with their associated cost and sell price.

Some have been sold but and shipped but the income statement  shows 100% profit, no deduction for cost of goods. Any thoughts?

Having had a look, the best thing I can come up with is not to record the PO but to 'Save and Preview', and from that window print the copies you need - if you were needing to email, print to PDF. When that is done save as a draft, which does not process the PO, just saves it. When you need to process the PO you will find it in 'Purchases>Open Purchase Order List' and choose 'Draft' from the 'Display Orders' drop-down when you will see all the saved drafts. Open the one you want by double clicking it and then record it in the usual way.

As for the need to input the bill to get the items into inventory. You might try setting up a dummy bank account for this purpose and have a nominal for 'Bill Accruals' and make a payment to that from the dummy bank account. When the bill does arrive, make the necessary journals/ deletions to right the account.

Obviously, this is not an ideal situation, it just adds adds to the process and invites error. Were I NCH I would seriously think about having this program re-written to match current accounting principles, and have it tested by book-keepers and accountants before putting it on the market.

Ya I agree, EA was developed without much real world thought in many areas. Unfortunate because I thought it could be a suitable replacement for quickbooks who recently more than doubled their fee and made buying a desktop version very difficult and good for 1 year only.

For what it's worth I did grab a copy of Avanquest's  My Software Bookkeeper. Low cost and seems to have what I need. trying to get it started but running into opening balance things because I am not an accountant and although it claims it will import I have not had any luck there.