Could not open the video file

Keith McGill

I made a video recording using NCH Debut Video software. Opened "Recordings" and could see the recording in the list (mp4 / 320mb). However, when I clicked to open the recording I got the message "Could not open the video file".

I was still able to save the file to my c:drive but when I tried to open it got the message "Can't Play - This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt. 0xc00d36c4".

I was on v8.60 when I made the recording. I have updated to latest version, 8.61, but same issue. I have not had any issues before or changed any settings.

Would be grateful if somebody could tell me if I have lost the recording completely (argh!) or can I retrieve / salvage it somehow?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 4:25 PM, Chris75 said:

Have you tested saving the video using different formats, for example, avi, mov, or mp4?  Have you tested changing the video compressor encoder to H264 or MPEG4?

If the issue remains, you may want to contact the NCH Software support team directly through this link Software Technical Support

Thanks... yes, I tried all those formats and it still would not open. Contacted NCH (thanks for link) and sent them the file, but they had the same issue. They were very responsive but ultimately said nothing they could do - file corrupted. 

1 hour ago, JanP said:

This issue usually happens when the recording was interrupted or the recording was not stopped properly. For example, while recording, your PC suddenly restarted. It will save the recording but it will be a corrupted file.

Thanks. Yes, agreed - per my response above, file corrupted and cant be saved. Put this one down to experience! 🙂