Crop to left or right instead of crop to center

TobiasB

I must crop 16:9 videos to 16:10 often. There is a standard command that crops 5% left and right, leaving the center of the image untouched. Most of the time, that's satisfying. But sometimes I would prefer to be able to cut off the whole 10% on one side only. I've tried several video effects, but I always end up with black bars on the left or the right side.
Can someone explain to me how I could do this please?

• borate changed the title to Crop to left or right instead of crop to center

Perhaps something is being misunderstood here ... but how can a 16:9 be cropped to become larger vertically?  A 16:10 could be cropped to 16:9.

Perhaps the ZOOM effect would work for what you're attempting.

Please describe, or better yet, create a small video that demonstrates precisely what is being done.

Upload that video to a free server and get a public (shared) link.  Post that link here.  If using Google Drive, be sure that "anyone can view" instead of "restricted."

Right click on a clip in the left window will open a list of commands you can apply to the original clip.

'Change Clip Aspect Ratio' opens a list of four options:
Letter Box
Crop Center
Stretch
Blur Padding

I'm talking about the option 'Crop Center'. Clicking this option opens a list of predefined aspect ratios - I chose '16:10'.

Then the whole clip is truncated on the left and on the right side by 5% symmetrically.

In case the originally clip was 1920x1080 for example, the result will have the resolution 1728x1080.

For export of this cropped clip you have to set the wanted resolution, chose 1920x1200 for example to fill usual monitors, which have this resolution. The result has no black bars around the scene.

My question is:
How can I manage not get the remaining middle part of the screen losing 5% on both sides but getting the left part and losing 10% on the right side only?

Hi Borate,
your suggestion ends up with symmetrical black bars all around the screen. Zoom and/or Letterbox export do not help.

But Scale does!

So 'Crop to Left' can be simulated by:

first Crop
 X1 = 0.00
 Y1 = 0.00
 X2 = 90.00
 Y2 = 100.00

then Position
 Horizontal = 5.00
 Vertical = 100.00 0.00

then Scale
 Horizontal (ratio) = 1.11
 Vertical (ratio) = 1.11
 Base X = 0.00
 Base Y = 0.00
 Offset X = 0.00
 Offset Y = 0.00

So my problem is solved! Thank you.

Edited by TobiasB

Very good.  For vertical POSITION you likely meant zero.  100 will place it off the screen.

In tests here, both ZOOM and SCALE produce essentially the same result, as seen in a viewer.  That recommendation would have been next.^_^

Thanks for the update.