Video Frozen on Sequence Preview, but Audio Plays (and Clip Preview Video & Audio Plays)

swabygw

I have my project split up into five sequences, plus a sixth final sequence, which puts together the prior five sequences.  This was all working fine until I exited the program and went back in to do more work.  I cleared the cache and brought back up the project.  Now, when I play the some clips within some of the sequences, in the Sequence Preview window, the audio plays but the video is frozen.  If I go to the Clip Preview for that clip, both the video and audio play just fine.  I cannot figure out why the Sequence Preview video is not playing.  Needless to say, the combined sequences in the final sequence also has the frozen video, reflecting the problem with the clip in the original sequence.  I have VideoPad 11.80.

Please install the latest release.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

If the problem persists, the best way to analyze what's occurring is to see the project.  Please share it - or a portion that has the issue.

Someone will take a look and come up with a fix.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Thanks for the response.  I was able to fix it, and here's how:  I read another posting where the user mentioned that they inserted a pink blank to fix a similar issue.  So, I figured that clip in the Sequence Preview just needed to be forced to reprocess.  So, I added a 00:00:00.010 (hundredth of a second) fade-in to the beginning and that did it.  It started working again.  I was able to fix multiple clips the same way...by making some really tiny adjustment to the clip to force it to reprocess.

I have a few suggestions - my private wish list:

• An additional menu item on the right-click context menu of a clip that is on the timeline which would allow a forced reprocessing of that particular clip.
  • A better way of knowing when to clear the disk cache.  For example, a checkbox that says clear on startup or shutdown of the program.  It would also be nice to be able to view what's in the cache and allow selective deletion.
  • A way (like a keyboard shortcut) to select all clips with a single video track or audio track (either including or excluding the linked video/audio elements). When there are a large number of small clips on a track, clicking the ones you want manually is tedious.
  • An "effects bus" or a track-level effect(s) setting which would allow for adding an effect(s) to a track, such that all elements within that track would then use that/those effect(s). The name/reapply feature on the individual clips is great, but tedious when there are a large number of clips. It would be perfect if a named/saved effects group could be applied directly to a track.

Thanks, again, for your assistance and offering to review the project directly.  That's great support.

Please share a clip that has the issue, to see if a necessity to 'reprocess' can be replicated. 

Be sure to allow the green caching line above the tracks to complete or PV may not be smooth.  If this is a multi-track project wait also for the line under the PV window to change color - purple or gray.  That confirms that the sequence is cached.

Clear the disk cache prior to beginning a new project.  It can also be cleared at anytime during editing.

To select all clips on a track, select the first.  Hold down <shift> and select the last.  Press DEL on the keyboard.  That's a standard Windows thing.

To apply effects to multiple clips, select the clips, right-click on one image.png icon to program the effect, then click the "replace effect chain" button on the effects toolbar... chain.jpg

Be sure to file your other suggestions with the company...  https://www.nch.com.au/suggestions/index.html

Also, for HD, lengthy or complex projects use the 64-bit releases.that take better advantage of PC memory.

Thanks - I was unaware of the ability to select all clips on a track and how to apply effects to multiple clips.  Those features will greatly simplify future post-production efforts.  I've already fixed the issue and saved the project, so I'm not sure I can recreate the issue, but I'll be sure to save an example the next time it appears (this issue pops up randomly). 

I was able to reproduce the issue.  I have created a mini-project for you and stripped out all of the other, unnecessary Sequences, images, videos, etc. and I sent you a link.  I'm assuming your confidentiality and non-disclosure is agreed to, so please let me know if that is not the case.

You'll notice that the first two clips on the timeline are frozen with the initial frame.  The playback starts going on the third clip.  If you make any adjustment to anything on the timeline, no matter how small, it will fix the problem.  I can't explain why, but hopefully you'll spot the reason.