[solved] What is the "dB Range"?

Laguna

Hello, I am just a newbee for MixPad.

I have watched the video tutorials and have read the documentation, but I haven't found the answer to my question. So I decided to ask here. Sorry if I've missed something and the answer is already in the sources that I have read.

My question is this: 

If you right-click on the title of any track, you will get a menu with the top option being "Set dB Range" with sub-options: -45dB, -60dB, -90dB, and -120dB, among which the -60dB is the default one. Can anyone, please, explain to me what this range is all about and which option I should choose? How will different range eventually affect my final mix? 

Hello there. This basically sets the recording volume level of the track (it's like a preset for ease of use). If you'd try setting it to the highest and lowest, you'd see the difference in volume during test recording. You'd always want to test the levels first. Also note that this will only affect the track.

Thank you, MakubX, for this answer.

May I have a further clarification? Will it affect only the playback of the track or will it also affect the track's volume level when I export the whole mix? In short, will it affect the final mix exported as a .wav?

It's the actual recording volume that's affected and would reflect on the exported audio (there's a different slide bar on the same panel for the playback volume).

If you can test the program (free demo), you'd notice that if you record tracks with different dB levels while having the recording volume (from source) the same, the volumes are different after export. It may even distort a bit at -45db so you may want to adjust your recording device volume along and test a few exports.

• Laguna changed the title to [solved] What is the "dB Range"?