Exporting file changes alignment

Rowland

I've come across what appears to be a worrying problem when exporting videos - so, when rendering the final version of a video.  Playing back the final version of the video, the vertical alignment (and it only seems to be vertical) of some (but not all) the text has dropped down.  I think it is only affecting the text.

In the case of a video I have just put together, different text is revealed at different points in the video and its positioning needs to be precise.  It all looks absolutely fine, and exactly as I have set it up, when playing it back in the editor, but the rendering process is changing how it looks in the final exported video.

I have now tested this three times and I get the same result. Worrying.

Export resolution can affect this.  What are your settings and what version of Videopad is being used?  Look at the left-bottom of the screen.

Share your project.  Someone will take a look.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Hi, Borate, and thanks for the suggestions.

I have VideoPad professional vs 11.08.  I really don't pretend to understand everything that's going on under the bonnet, but it would seem to be a fundamental flaw of the software if the video that is carefully prepared and looks fine in preview is then changed (in any way) when exported to become the final version of that video.

All the videos I am currently preparing are 1920 x 1080 HD for YouTube. Is it possible that I am selecting the wrong export parameters. I am choosing YouTube 1080 HD mp4; Letterbox widescreen fit; variable frame rate (min 14.985 fps - max 19.970fps). The fps choice is only selected because it seems to be offered by default for that YouTube setting, but I am happy to explore other constant rates (>24fps).

Font size is not scaled like images and can only be increased/decreased in a fixed step.  The step is not linear, meaning that one size change could affect the number of pixels displayed at various resolutions.  There are different scaling implementations, pixel formats and trade offs between quality and speed etc.

Here's an approach that may give you a better result.

Compose the text overlays, then Save Project File AS, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.  Do this routinely.

Now delete all background tracks, leaving only the text overlays.

Export at 1080 as an aPNG file.

Restore the project, then delete the text overlays and replace them with the aPNG.

This is about as close as it gets.  Tests here showed vertical and horizontal positioning to be dead on.