Picture-in-Picture

Raven150

I want to add to the video clip, a zoomed in layer of my subject in the lower right-hand corner. I have a video of a handler and dog team working in obedience.  Is it possible to add a box (picture-n-picture) that is zoomed in on the dog so the viewer can see the overall performance as well as a close of the dog at the same time?  Please tell how to do this if possible.  If this is in the Video Pad User Guide, I can't find it. 

Click the 3-lined Menu at the top-right of the VP window.  Click VIEW and Show Dual Previews. image.png

Add the full-screen image to track 1.

Add the video to be zoomed on track 2.

Add the ZOOM effect and adjust it.  If necessary, set the aspect ratio preset.  Here it's a 4x3 video...

image.png   Click this image to enlarge it.

Next add the SCALE (Picture-In-Picture) effect and position the Base X and Y coordinates for a bottom-right window display.

Hi

Probably the best way to do this is to film the event with two cameras. One set to show the whole scene and the other filming the dog in close up. The problem with using a single clip as that..

• You need to copy the clip in order to have one copy to zoom.
  • The enlargement (the zoom) will lose quality.
  • The degree of enlargement may be limited as the PIP will have to be scaled back again.

The principle is as Borate describes......

• Place the wide angle clip on Track 1
  • Place the clip to zoom on Track 2
  • On Track 2 Use Zoom to enlarge the clip.
  • Crop this to show just the dog.....This may be too large to use
  • Scale the image back
  • Use position to place the small image in the corner

Here is the end result......

Snapshot - 1.png

The effect is not particularly good as it is difficult to get a good degree of enlargement for the PIP.

It would be much better in these cases to use the wide angle clip as the PIP and the enlarged dog section as the back ground. If colours make the PIP borders unclear use a blank black image to create a border as here.

• Place Wide ange clip on Track 3
  • Use Scale and position to reduce it in size and position to make the PIP
  • Use a Black blank on Track 2
  • Use scale and position to size it slightly larger than the PIP and place it behind the PIP so showing a narrow border
  • Place a copy of the wide angle clip on Track 1 
  • Use Zoom to enlarge the area of the dog to suitable fill the frame..........

Snapshot - 2.png

(Border is a bit wide here :) but you could make it narrower with a bit if scale adjustment.)

The same effect can be achieved if you use the Picture in Picture effect for the wide ange clip.

Nat