Losing sound when editing track

Heidi Hendricks

Hi, I am using VideoPad v 11.69, running on Win11 Pro. I've built a sequence with combination video and images and all seems well. Until I try to add another video in the middle of the track, suddenly the sound disappears. I can undo changes to get the sound back, but cannot figure out what I'm doing to lose the sound. Help (newbie). TY.

You certain that the audio isn't simply misplaced - later in the track?  This isn't a bug and can happen in certain situations.

Try locking the audio track prior to new content insertion.  Right-click at the left of the track and LOCK TRACK.

If the issue persists, please share your project.  Someone will take a look and come up with a fix.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Since version 11.64, there are some issues with fade points. Ok, this has nothing to do with your problem, but maybe there are some more audio issues since this version. So it might help to install an older version (e,g, 11.63), just give it a try. Here you can download all versions: http://oldversiondownload.com/

(Personally, I still work with version 10.43) 

Install this version of the program.

VP lists about 25 missing files.  Be sure that you have included all that are used in the project.

In the material supplied there's an audio editing error at the head of the music that begins at 14.05.047. which may be contributing to the issue.

Note the a small audio clip at the head of the music, followed by a clip that contains the balance of the tune...

Expand the timeline with the slider at the bottom-right of the window, right-click in the small clip and REMOVE ALL FADES.

Do the same for the following clip.

Right-click on the split line between the two and UN-SPLIT CLIPS.

Now double-click the single audio clip and program the fades.

When inserting video splits, be sure that the audio track isn't being split as well - unless that's the intent.

Use the SPLIT button under the preview window.  Click the chevron at the right side of the button and choose the specific track to be split. 

image.png

These tips did the trick, at least initially! And now I must be doing something wrong again - I have more images and a couple more video files that I need to add to the sequence, but whenever I make any changes I lose sound. Sound comes back when I undo changes until just before the point I add pictures to the images folder (Note: I can add images to the staging area, and the sound still works. It isn't until I try to add an image to the sequence that I lose sound. I have to back out to the point before I added pictures for the sound to come back). 
Steps to add: Drag picture and snap to line in between video and other image = lose sound. Add picture to the end of the sequence = lose sound. Add picture to the very beginning of sequence = lose sound. In every step, I am dragging and snapping the image to the sequence. 
Than you so much for your help, I'm not sure what I'm doing!

Better - no missing files.  Use the 64-bit Videopad version.

Start with a clean cache by clicking OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.  The large project may then take ten minutes or more to fully cache.

Four gaps were detected.  The first two, which may be intentional, were about two-seconds each.  The others are likely a mistake.  To see them use Storyboard mode and use the horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the window..     .image.png

The sequence should look like this... 

Sequence.jpg

But note the blank area after the last video.  That may be the cause of your issue.  Right-click in that area and Remove Gap In Sequence.

A video file was placed in various areas of the project and at the end.  Audio was unaffected.

VP export defaulted at six-channels (5.1) of audio.  Little reason for that.  Change it by clicking the blue Default Quality/Filesize button in the export window.  image.png