Unreasonable memory usage

trbot

Hi,

I'm having issues with VideoPad using ridiculous amounts of memory to process even very small video clips.

For example, I started a new project, added a 2m54s 32MB MP4 video clip to the timeline, and VideoPad quickly consumes 22GB of memory to process it, bringing my PC to its knees for several minutes, which is insane, considering I'm working with 64-cores, 32GB RAM, 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD main hard drive, separate 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD scratch drive, and an RTX 3080!

I can attach images of this behaviour / more details if that helps... (Windows 10, VideoPad Pro 10.78 64bit)

Is this expected behaviour? 

Likely not normal.  What's the resolution of the file?

Prior to starting a new project, go to OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.

Share the mp4 and someone here will check it out.  Upload the file/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

Also consider upgrading to the current release.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Just for transparency, I also sent this info to support via email directly, as after I made this post, I noticed a pinned forum post suggesting I should not use this as a substitute for contacting support directly. So, if by helping me here, you'll just be duplicating work, then feel free to ignore the below.

EDIT: sorry I should have mentioned, the video I uploaded as an example is, I believe, 4k@60. But, I've certainly reproduced at 1080p@60.

I also uploaded the source video that I added to the VideoPad timeline to elicit the behaviour: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kCJGmwJGRlAF3nFalLwoP7O-O9GQQahr/view?usp=sharing

The file that I added to the timeline to elicit the bad behaviour has the following properties you requested.
File format: MP4
Size: 46MB
Length: 3 minutes, 5 seconds

As you'll see in the demo video, processing this file used 100% of 64 CPUs, and 100% of free memory (20GB), grinding my computer to a halt.

I exited non-essential programs before triggering the starting VideoPad and triggering the behaviour. I was only running Chrome, OBS to record, NVidia's webcam background filter (as part of my OBS recording setup), and MS Teams in the background. I have task manager open so you can see what else is running / happening in the video in real time.

I can easily reproduce this over and over even with very small videos. Once a video is first processed and is cached, the behaviour no longer happens (unless I clear the cache).

This is a good place to post issues.  Those that are verified are passed along to the developers.

Starting with a clean cache new install of v11.63 (64-bit), your demo took all of 59 seconds to fully cache.  GPU usage was very high throughout and the PC wasn't bogged down.  This is an I7 on a Z390 with 32MB RAM and a GTX1060.

After loading, the cache folder was 752MB.  Here (for a short while) is the task manager readout as the file loaded.  Very efficient, IMO.

Install the current version.  Under OPTIONS | Editing tab, in the Video section at the bottom, test both your GPU and "default."  Also try NO (CPU only)

Submit a file or two here that gives you grief, please.

Remember, there's a six month free upgrade window.  Go here and try out later releases within that period.

NCH is continually making under the hood performance improvements.  You can see how GPU is now being used more efficiently, for faster rendering.