Different Editions; what do I get exactly?

BG213

I don't find those descriptions very informative. So you get two audio tracks on the home edition; does this mean there are zero on the free edition? What does "fully featured" mean? What features are absent on the free edition? Is the only difference between Home and Professional unlimited audio tracks and plugins? Briefly, what are plugins?

There are a few Virtual Dub plugins that work with Videopad.  They create special effects and seemingly are little employed by VP users.

"Fully featured" means that no features are disabled or limited.  No way of testing the HOME version here, but assume that you get what's advertised:  a maximum of two audio tracks.

The free, unlicensed release was just installed on a Windows 10 laptop, and allowed at least six audio tracks at the outset.  But it's conceivable that some, along with select effects/transition/other features may be disabled in time.  Certainly a minimum of two tracks would remain.  Expect 'update' prompts.

Install it and explore.  As for export, if mp4 balks, try AVI.

I have installed the free edition yesterday, but am just beginning to explore. There is a sale ending Friday to upgrade and have a busy schedule this week so not much time to explore. Am wondering if its worth it. What I am trying to say in all this is: what exactly am I getting if I upgrade?

Features change from time to time;  there's no precise way to say what you will get.  Certain export formats, or advanced effects may be unavailable if VP is not registered.  Whether you need them depends upon the scope of your projects.

For a time, consider sticking with the free version or normal release as an unlicensed trial, and see if a feature becomes disabled that you might want to use.

There's always another sale. 😉  Come back here if you encounter problems or have questions.

The trial version at a time limit

The 2-track family version (too limited)

The pro version is very good, I have been using it for years, 1x per month for +- 3 years, the problem of videopad is that once purchased, the update is free if a new version arrives within a few months of purchase.

At home, every time I buy it, 7/12 months after there is an update and I have to pay after using it 10/12 times and it starts to annoy me seriously....

There should be a "License Renewal" tariff

So I now stay with my old videopad version and I test other software when I have time ...

You never "have to pay" after the six-month free update window.  A purchased version will keep working just as before.

Within that free licensing period, there may have been several releases, not necessarily better, but with slightly different features that you can try. http://oldversiondownload.com/

The current version can be test driven to judge a potential upgrade.  And, if you prefer, the subscription payment model will keep you up to date.

https://nch.invisionzone.com/forum/322-videopad-logiciel-de-montage-vidéo/