converting dvf

benoize

Hello all,

Just new to the forum. I tried to convert a dvf file a friend sent me and when trying to convert it I got a message saying : >>Cannot open file. Check it exists and you have read access<<

I asked my friend about a possible read protection, but he had no idea of it could be....

Any ideas??

Cheers, Benoit

you usually get that message when another piece of software has grabbed on to the file and won't let go of it, you will have to find out what that software is and shut it down.

another possibility is it simply just can't play the file. the sony dvf plugin we are using does not support dvfs from every single recorder out there, why i do not know, but that is how sony chose to operate.

check it is working in media player first, that is usually a sign of whether it is going to work or not.

of course all this is assuming you have already installed the dvf plugin.....

you usually get that message when another piece of software has grabbed on to the file and won't let go of it, you will have to find out what that software is and shut it down.

another possibility is it simply just can't play the file. the sony dvf plugin we are using does not support dvfs from every single recorder out there, why i do not know, but that is how sony chose to operate.

check it is working in media player first, that is usually a sign of whether it is going to work or not.

of course all this is assuming you have already installed the dvf plugin.....

Thanks nchtj for you respons. I am using switch for mac os x so that does complicate things... So, no I don;t have a sony plugin and windows media player has ceased to work ages ago...

So here goes: could you try to (or more importantly would you want to) convert it for me in a mp3 format??

I really don;t see how I can do it from here. And I'd be very greatful, because it's the only recording of a piece of music i wrote...

Well, let me know. Thanks in advance!

Benoit

yes unfortunately that does complicate things, sony do not support dvf third-party plugins on mac, therefore we cannot support it ourselves.

see here: http://www.nch.com.au/switch/faq.html#ABA

you can try using the service YouSendIt (www.yousendit.com) to send the audio file to me and I'll see if it's convertable on Windows.

as an aside, if you have an Intel Mac you can buy and install Windows XP on your Mac using Apple's Boot Camp software. See the Apple site for more details (or google it).

yes unfortunately that does complicate things, sony do not support dvf third-party plugins on mac, therefore we cannot support it ourselves.

see here: http://www.nch.com.au/switch/faq.html#ABA

you can try using the service YouSendIt (www.yousendit.com) to send the audio file to me and I'll see if it's convertable on Windows.

as an aside, if you have an Intel Mac you can buy and install Windows XP on your Mac using Apple's Boot Camp software. See the Apple site for more details (or google it).

Thanks TJ,

The file is on it's way. I'm still working under the old OS X, so no bootamp or Windows XP yet...

Thanks a million for all the help!

Benoit

• 15 years later...
  • 4 months later...