Timed Key-frame Effects - Discrepancy

Dallan

Hi,

I have created a custom scale effect which uses key frames to first increase and then decrease. When I apply the effect to different clips, the time over which the effect works is always different. For one clip the key frames in the effect could be 1 second a part, and for another clip a different time.

Is this a bug?

I am using an older version 10.18.

So if I have a clip which is 10 second long, and I apply a scale effect using keyframes to last from, say, t=2s to t=5s, the effect will be for 3 seconds. 

If I later on extend the clip to something other than 10 seconds, then the scale effect will no longer be 3 seconds long? Is that correct?

That seems odd as I would expect the effect to apply to a certain portion of a clip, regardless of how long or short the clip is, because usually an effect would be desired over a certain time. I can't conceive of why I would want the effect to change duration if the clip length changes, but instead over a certain portion of the clip regardless of the clip length. In the example above, if I want to scale the clip from t-2s to t=5s, then once the effect is applied I can't change the clip length?

Say you have a five-second clip, with an effect that spans its entire length.

Then you add a ten second clip but want the same five-second effect to apply to seconds three to eight

Split the clip at three and eight seconds, then right-click in the split-out area and Apply Last Used Video Effect.  Or recall the effect template, if you saved it.