Terrible echo (audible only on recording)!

Melanie Reinhart

I have happily used SoundTap for very many years. Mainly recording two-way audio conversations on Skype. Suddenly, and without my knowingly having made any changes to anything on my computer, the SoundTap recordings are unusable. A terrible echo on the recording, caller's voice only. i.e. I don't hear that echo while on the call. When I'm speaking, there is no echo on the recording.

I've spent very many hours trying to fix this, without success. (Tested mic on Recordpad, which works fine, but no good for a two-way online conversation. I also experimented with various different settings, disabling the mic on my webcam, uninstall and reinstall of SoundTap latest version etc.)

I'm at a loss to do know what to try next, or why this just suddenly began happening, after many years of perfect functioning.

Any/all suggestions welcome! (Win10 64bit with all updates done. Toshiba laptop R830.)

Thank you,

Hello, it is very unlikely that a program would stop working just because it decided to, this is not the way software works.  In this case, if you did not change the SoundTap version, then the source of issues can only be in two places.  Either something changed on Skype, or your computer drivers.  

Usually, the changes in Skype or your computer drivers will display a notification, but this is likely to be overlooked.  

Have you tried restoring your computer to a date prior to this issues happening?  If you have a Windows computer you can use the System restore tool, and in Mac you can use the Time Machine. 

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to respond.

Yes, I did a 'System Reset' in December. This was after I had tried a 'Restore' which didn't work.  I had to do a lot of re-installing, so not sure if the SoundTap version I installed was the same one as before. When I went to install ST from the .exe file that I downloaded when it was bought last year, a message came that there was a new version (7.22). As far as I know, there's been no Skype update since then.

I have tried to check the audio drivers as best as I know how, and all devices come up as 'working properly' with drivers up to date.

I'm on course to get a new computer, I think, and just hope that SoundTap will work on Windows 11 -:)

Melanie

• 9 months later...
On 2/1/2022 at 3:03 AM, Melanie Reinhart said:

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to respond.

Yes, I did a 'System Reset' in December. This was after I had tried a 'Restore' which didn't work.  I had to do a lot of re-installing, so not sure if the SoundTap version I installed was the same one as before. When I went to install ST from the .exe file that I downloaded when it was bought last year, a message came that there was a new version (7.22). As far as I know, there's been no Skype update since then.

I have tried to check the audio drivers as best as I know how, and all devices come up as 'working properly' with drivers up to date.

I'm on course to get a new computer, I think, and just hope that SoundTap will work on Windows 11 -:)

Melanie

Hi Melanie Reinhart, I you are still experiencing issues with SoundTap, please submit a Technical Support ticket so we can further assist you with this issue. You may submit a ticket from this link: NCH Software - Technical & Support Services

Dear Chris,

Thank you so much for following up. I am no longer using Sound Tap. I've done a 'workaround' by reverting to using an ancient Sony mp3 recorder. My environment is quiet enough so I can just record conversations via my speakers. And I use the Skype 'in-house' recording facility to offer clients a video recording.

I don't have the time right now to undertake another 'tech project', but I'll keep your email and perhaps follow up at a later date.

Thanks again,

Melanie