Elgato video capture

valuenyc

I've just gotten Elgato Video Capture. It takes video from a device (composite or S-video) and sends it to a USB port and then creates MP4 files. I hoped to capture with VideoPad in order to get better quality and files that can be burned to a standard video DVD.

When I go through the record process, VideoPad sees Elgato; it is displayed in the CAPTURE VIDEO dialog. But I only get visual static and no audio. I see that DEVICE PORTS only includes S-video and Composite as input (along with Audio Line In)--not USB.

So should this Elgato work with VideoPad? Doesn't the fact that Elgato is selected as the current device suggest that it should? The computer was powered down last night, so re-starting is a non-issue.

Should I upgrade? I don't have much use for VideoPad currently and I don't want to waste time right now if support for Elgato won't be there.

Thanks for any input,

Jeanne

Win 8.1, VideoPad Professional 8.5

• borate changed the title to Elgato video capture

Borate,

Thanks for that. With your help, I've now got video, but no audio. When I noticed there was also a <Analog Audio In (Elgato Video Capture)> and tried that, I got a "device error, it may be in use by another application" but it isn't. So I'm stymied. I'll watch for any further thoughts.

Be sure that Elgato drivers are up to date.

Disconnect it and reboot.  Open Videopad to the RECORD page.  Now connect Elgato and see if it is fully recognized.

The easiest way to accomplish this may be as suggested above:  let Elgato create a file, then load it into VP or Express Burn.  Quality shouldn't suffer.

Borate,

The computer was off overnight. So following your advice, I can't get to the record page if Elgato is not connected: "No video capture devices were detected."

Connecting and turning on the VCR gets me video but not audio. Same "device error" message when I try to select the Elgato device in the audio slot.

The drivers are up to date. The device comes with no software, just instructions to download software. On that page, you are given the link to download the driver. So I did that just a couple of days ago.

Apologies that I didn't acknowledge or answer your second suggestion about using Elgato's MP4 in VideoPad. While they have audio and video, the files are awful--without many controls in Elgato (or info about its few options). So I was trying to experiment with whether capturing through VideoPad might help.

But I think I've had it with Elgato. While thousands (literally) claim to make nifty files from old VHS tapes, everything I try is unwatchable. The only decent picture I could ever coax out of a VHS tape (for display on a new-ish flat screen) I got by converting to DVD using my old combo unit. Those DVDs look pretty good on my flat screen, whereas the original VHS recording looks terrible on the same TV and on multiple computer monitors. So I think I'm going to try to resurrect that combo unit or replace it. (What DID those combo units do that I cannot replicate?)

More info than you need, but thanks so much for trying.

NCH tech support advises...

"VideoPad can record only from devices connected directly to your computer.  For example, you can record from Camcorders, webcams, TV capture cards, or other devices connected to your computer. However, if you are using a capture device, this may not work as the video and audio signal is transferred differently.

To record video and audio from a capture device you may want to try using Debut Video Capture and Screen Recorder Software.  For more details about Debut, you may follow this link https://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html"

Thanks again, Borate. Makes sense and I had doubts from the get-go. Tech Support should note, however, that VideoPad DOES work with this USB device but badly. It would be better if it just didn't recognize the device at all rather than waste time with video sans audio. (I tried Debut, but it didn't get as far as VideoPad with capture, and screen recording just wouldn't do the trick. My Debut is an old version, but I decided that Elgato probably wouldn't be worth any more of my time. )

Gotta go repair my old combo unit, but you're the best 😉,

Cheers!

Jeanne

To help track this issue down, please take a minute to install and test this version.  Any difference?

Also try this one.  Thanks for your help.

Thereafter, simply reinstall the version that you were using.

And, of course, first Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

When I tried to install the first, I got a message that this app could not be installed on my PC and I should contact the publisher (or something like that).

The file from the second link installed VideoPad 11.6 but I didn't get far. So I did this:

• restart computer
  • start VP 11.6 WITH Elgato plugged into USB port but VCR off
  • bring up RECORD window
  • power VCR on and press PLAY

Results: This time, VP immediately recognized the Elgato audio function (I did not need to select it) but I got the following alternating / flashing: device error message and a still image from when the video started (even tho the video has continued playing).

I partially retraced my steps (restarting VP with the VCR off) and saw that before I powered the VCR on, the device error message was flashing/alternating with a black screen. I don't believe I'd ever seen that before. Anyway, when I powered on the VCR and pressed PLAY, VP didn't see the video at all. Only if I switched from Elgato's audio to the computer's sound card did I see the video. But of course, no sound is recorded. (I saw a new message at the bottom of the VP window: "This recording seems to be very quiet. Please check.... " Gratifying little upgrade. 😉 )

By the way, I don't think this could matter, but FYI:  Elgato apparently won't work with a USB 3.0 port, only USB 2.0.

Gotta run. I'll check back before reinstalling my own copy of VP. I might require some advice on that, but I have to check a couple of things.

You're welcome, I do appreciate the forum more than I can say,

Jeanne

Can't open RECORD window until Elgato is plugged in.

Opened VP first, then plugged in Elgato, then brought up RECORD. Now VP sees Elgato's audio function, but it selects the sound card. When I switch to Elgato's audio, I get Device error flashing on and off.

Firing up the VCR and pressing play makes no change.

When I close and re-open RECORD tho, VP switches to selecting Elgato's audio-in. But I'm not even seeing the video that's playing. Just device error message alternating with black screen.

Restarting VideoPad with the VCR is still going: VP has Elgato selected for both video and audio, but just flashes device error at me. When I switch the audio device to the computer's sound card, I get the video but no audio. Now the STOP button doesn't work. I have to close the window.

• 2 weeks later...

Attach your white/red audio out of tour camera to your desktop pc via the line-in port. You’ll need an RCA to 3mm adapter.

If you’re using a mono source the white connector is the audio.

I use an Easy Capture device and it works fine. So basically, the only thing going through your dongle is the video signal.