Only mono audio with Video Pad

Roy Schahrer

• borate changed the title to Only mono audio with Video Pad

No, I am getting a MONO (Single Channel) not STEREO (2 Channel) audio in the output file.  

If I import a video file and don't do any editing at all on the file and export it it seems to work fine, but if I edit anything it changes the output to MONO, even if I manually set 2 channel in the output selection.  This is really frustrating since it has been working fine for a long time.

This can occur when a single-channel mono file is used in a project that has stereo files.  A quick fix if this is the case is to convert the mono file into a center-channel mono (stereo) file.

Wavepad handles that easily.  Load the file, click STEREO at the bottom of the window, choose to convert to MONO and exit.  Load that audio in place of the original.

In some cases, a right-click on the audio will offer the option to OPEN IN WAVEPAD.  After editing is complete, click the X at the top-right and SAVE.  The revised file will appear on the Videopad timeline, where it can be positioned correctly, and the original deleted.

It this an A/V file?  Are there other video files with audio on the timeline?  What VP version is being used?

Please share the file that is the problem, and someone will check it out.  This is easy and can be private.

Upload the file/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

Thanks for sharing.  Again, what version of Videopad is being run?  Look at the left-bottom corner of the window or at the start-up screen.

With this release at default export settings, two tests were run that mirrored your trim - one using the original and the other the NO EDIT file.

Both edited exports resulted in a stereo mp4.  So cannot replicate your result.

However,  your :15 EDIT file does list only a single channel, though the audio plays as stereo.   On the above tests, the export is confirmed as two channels.

image.png

The version is 11.08 

What I do not understand is why would VideoPad change the audio output to mono ONLY after the file has been edited.  I did NOT change ANY settings at all, jut edited the file to the shorter clip.

And why is it doing it now/  If I had the older versions of the software I would downgrade back to a version that works for me.  For now the software is not doing what I need it to do.

Hmmmm, looks like I have probably doing it wrong all along.  I have been doing all the sequence editing in the timeline, cutting bits and pieces out of clips in the final timeline.  Doing it the way borate suggested in a PM is working now.  Thanks so much for the assist.  Still curious why it worked before, but as long as it is working the way you have shown (likely the way it is shown in the manual (who reads manuals) I should be fine.

Happy New Year.

Many thanks for that, borate!
I've recently upgraded to a new computer and bought the latest VideoPad prog. Windows 10. Had the same mono sound issue. The "re-encode" setting solved it! 
Slightly disappointing, since without re-encode, the export process is lightning fast!
But I do wonder if it's a bug in the latest release issue - I've never had it occur in the earlier version I had on my old PC.

Yes, it's a confirmed bug that should be fixed in the next release.  In the interim either re-encode or use this version.

There's never a mandate to update, and sometimes it's best to wait, should quirks arise.

Newest releases can always be test driven - licensed or not - to check out the latest improvements and features.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue, the output file is in mono even though the original is stereo it only happens in lossless (what you want) on vs 10.96 I will download the latest version and try again!  Glad this was talked about already.