Applying effects to all clips

absoluteDann

Hi.

I wondered if there is a way to apply video effects to more than one clip at a time on a sequence?  So far the only way I have found has been to arrange my clips into a sequence, and export the project as a new video to add to a new sequence to apply the effect to.

I've tried selecting numerous clips and also adding the applicable clips to a group, but neither of these have worked.

Is there a simpler way than what I have been trying?

Thanks!

Select (highlight) the clips that are to receive the effect, then click the FX box on one of the clips and choose the effect.

If it isn't applied to all clips immediately, click the Replace Chain button on the effects toolbar.  .chain.jpg

This process can vary somewhat, depending upon the version of VP being used.

If you make a mistake press <ctrl-Z> to backtrack, step-by-step.

Hi

In version 10.43 and earlier....even if the Apply to all clips option is not found or doesn't highlight......

If you have a series of consecutive clips that you want to apply the effect to...

• Hold down the Shift key
  • Right Click (select) the first clip on the timeline to which you want to apply the effect.
  • Click the last clip on the timeline to which you want to apply the effect. Everything between the two clips will highlight.
  • Click the FX box on the last clip
  • Apply the effect. All the highlighted clips will receive the effect.

The reason for clicking the FX box on the last clip is that all selected clips to the left are treated. So, for example, if you click the FX for the first clip, only the first clip will be treated.

If the clips requiring the effect are not consecutive do this...

• Hold down the Ctrl key
  • Right Click (select) the clips requiring the effect. Only the selected clips will highlight.
  • Click the FX box for the last clip
  • Apply the effect. All the selected clips fill receive the effect.

You can check out which of these is working for you with an effect like Black and White which is quick to apply. Use the Undo arrow on the top toolbar to recheck the steps if you go wrong..

Nat

Nat's selection info is spot on for any VP version.

Precisely how this works varies slightly depending upon the effect and VP release.  For example, in the current version, some effects are applied instantly to all selected clips.  Other require using the 'replace chain' button as well.

A test of 8.06 shows that clicking FX on the last selected clip (or on any single clip) applies the effect to only that clip.

To apply to other selected clips follow up with the 'replace chain' button, as shown here...