Exported video won't play

Mons

What version of Videopad is being used?  Look at the left-bottom corner of the window.

What are the export settings?

Someone here will solve the issue if you take a few minutes to share your project.   The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

The VPJ file alone is of no use.  With your project complete on the timeline, please follow the instructions above to Back Up Files to a Folder, then upload that folder.

In the export box there are many options - resolution, codecs, fps, etc.  The defaults are usually fine. 

image.png

That's still not the project.  But the file plays and exports perfectly in the latest version.  Give it a try.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

What are the PC specs:  CPU/GPU/RAM?

No, the project should be fine with either release.

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

Let's take a look at it. Upload, as instructed above.  What are your PC's specs:  CPU/GPU/RAM?

I tried opening the existing project, but Videopad tells me to resolve missing files. When I click resolve it shows that there's no files in the folder to open, even when I open the folder separately on my computer where I saved it the file is there.

Clicking on RESOLVE opens the file manager.  You need to locate the folder containing the file, and click on the file itself.

An alternative would be to move or copy the file to the folder where it originally was when the project was saved - where VP expects to find it.

Never move or remove source files until certain that a project is complete.

• 4 weeks later...

SOLVED: Update on the 10.96 videopad.  The new software will not play in windows media player here, you have to use VLC and to get the video thumbnails back you have to downlod K-Lite Codec Pack Standard (use official sites only).  Then I can play the edited videos from videopad and see the thumbnails, but neither work in WMP now with new 10.96 version.

• borate changed the title to Exported video won't play
  • 4 months later...

Hi borate I have tried to follow these instructions you posted above-

Someone here will solve the issue if you take a few minutes to share your project.   The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

I think I've done it right until the 3rd bullet point. And I can't find the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to you.

I made a video and exported it on my Windows 10 laptop.  I saved this onto my external hard drive and connected it to my TV via a PS4 but it wont play 😞 Can you please help me???

The envelope at the top of this forum looks like this...   image.png

If an exported file won't play, chances are that's the fault of the player.

Upload it to a free server like https://www.google.com/drive/  or https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/onedrive/online-cloud-storage.

Get a shared (public) link and post it here or to me in a private message.  We'll see how the file plays.

Remember, if you use Google Drive, make the link so "anyone can view" - not "restricted.

Thanks for sharing your project.  It was exported as LOSSLESS (1920x1080 mp4).  Tested fine in five different players.

So the issue isn't with the file, but with your set up.  Perhaps the PS4 is not correctly configured.

Does Windows Media Player display the file on your laptop?

Thanks Borate, so glad I can get your help with this.  I'm confused about why on earth it would be called LOSSLESS as I did not name it that.  Does it just get given a random name?  Cause now I wonder if that I sent you is my video...

2 minutes ago, cathy w said:

I'm confused about why on earth it would be called LOSSLESS as I did not name it that.  Does it just get given a random name?

LOSSLESS refers to the export mode, not the title of the 94-file project.  After effects are added, that mode won't apply and most clips will be re-encoded.

12 minutes ago, Laura 2 said:

I have successfully exported and played one video project but my second project shows a slim white vertical line only (ie no video really);  audio plays.

What version of VP is being used?  Try this one.  If still no joy please share the project as instructed above.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.