V10.88 Audio missing in exported video file

LaRa

Let's have a look at the project (not the export).  That way we see what you see.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Thanks for the prompt response. I am using google drive....the project folder size is 249 MB.  How do I check if I have enough space on google drive? Uploading is underway but it is taking a long time. 10 minutes since uploading started and it says still 20 minutes to go

That's not unusal;  normally, uploads are much slower than downloads.  At the bottom left of the Google Drive window there's an indication of how much space is free.  How much is used will encompass ALL your files, including gMail.

Be sure to Get A non-restricted Link that anyone can access.

Plays just fine here in 10.88.  And in 10.87 as well.  Be sure that your player/viewer volume is turned up and not muted.

Fade Thru White isn't intended for a final fade, as there's nothing to fade TO.  Thus it doesn't fade completely.

If you want a cleaner, full fade, add a .500 duration blank white clip to the end of video.  Then set a 1:00 transition between your last shot and that clip.

Thanks for checking. your video plays beautifully...on my PC, the audio is playing just fine on the timeline. Definitely not a matter of volume being muted on player.  I was so busy testing all the features in both 10.87 and 10.88 that I didn't create any files in that period.  One file I did create using 10.87, I took for granted that everything was fine with it only to realize a few hours ago that audio was missing in it.  Too bad I uploaded it to youtube without the audio. You can check this out for what it is worth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo0q1WiUeVA&t=19s 

What do you suggest I do?

Thanks for the tip on fading at the end of the video.

-0-

Sorry I was mistaken. I created two files using 10.87..this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBS6X1qEihI was created before the one I sent you in the last post. Assuming everything to be fine, I never played back the exported file.

It is working in mp4 format! The above encoding settings display by default when mp4 is selected.  However, my preferred format is wmv. Can we fix it so that audio works irrespective of the output format? 

Just in case there is a misunderstanding, it is not that the audio is missing only on uploading to youtube.  VP exports (now I know, only wmv files) without audio to begin with.

Till such time as we find a solution to this problem, I guess I will export videos as mp4.

I notice that my windows media player plays only the audio of the mp4 file created in VP. It plays both video and audio of other mp4 files Ditto with avi export.

Whether mp4 or WMV, VP version 10.88 (32- or 64-bit) exports both audio and video normally here.  WMP handles them well.

Try this...

Close Videopad, then use Windows Explorer (the file manager) to delete all files in these directories (folders)...

"C:\Users\<your PC name>\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components"

Then install this version.

hi Borate! First let me thank you for working tirelessly to find solutions to problems.  Really appreciate your dedication.

Yes, it works now!!  The only thing worrying me is that the file size is ridiculously large. This particular video of 1m19s duration is 140 MB (at 24 fps matching the original's frame rate), whereas in the earlier version, a 1m24s video was only 40 MB.  There doesn't seem to be any appreciable difference in the quality between the two.

Glad it worked out.

Things to test, for a smaller file export...

Lower resolution

Lower quality setting (click the blue Default Quality/Filesize link)

Lower frame rate

Different format (such as AVI, Mp4, etc.)

The WMV of bskite in storm exported at 1280x720 resolution here is only 55MB.

What frame rate was selected?  Was the video length 2m19s?  If the frame rate was 25 and the video length is 2m19s,  I would certainly like to know how come your file size is only 55 MB at 1280x72 rez while mine with the same settings is 140 MB.

There was only a 20MB difference between 15 fps and 25 fps here.  15 fps is not even an option because of dropped frames but I did it just out of curiosity.  The settings I chose were nothing new....always 1280x720, 25 fps, quality 90% (I leave this default setting as it is).  

True that mp4 in general has a smaller sized file.  I guess I'll try this format.

-0-

My observation with the earlier versions has been that the files created in VP in winxp tended to be about 20 percent smaller than those created in win7.  So I tried to install the latest version that you sent in winxp (my computer has dual operating system).   I got a "~.exe is not a valid win32 application" message.  Is this version available for installation in winxp?

Recent VP versions may no longer be supported on XP.  However, try the 32-bit release.

image.png

General
Complete name                  : C:\Users\<PC name>\Downloads\Preview Cache Files\bskite in storm.wmv
Format                                 : Windows Media
File size                               : 54.7 MiB
Duration                              : 2 min 20 s
Overall bit rate mode         : Constant
Overall bit rate                    : 3 278 kb/s
Maximum Overall bit rate   : 8 387 kb/s
Encoded date                      : UTC 2021-10-05 09:34:55

Video
ID                                         : 1
Format                                 : VC-1
Format profile                     : MP@HL
Codec ID                             : WMV3
Codec ID/Info                     : Windows Media Video 9
Codec ID/Hint                     : WMV3
Description of the codec   : Windows Media Video 9 - Professional
Duration                              : 2 min 20 s
Bit rate mode                      : Constant
Bit rate                                : 8 192 kb/s
Width                                  : 1 280 pixels
Height                                 : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate                          : 20.217 FPS
Nominal frame rate             : 45.000 FPS
Bit depth                              : 8 bits
Compression mode             : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.440

Hi Borate! Facing the same problem in winxp as well. Installed the 32-bit release (before that I had installed 10.88 which was creating output files (wmv) without audio).  With the new installation, not only is there no audio in wmv output, it just doesn't create mp4 or avi files, citing some error. So I tried looking for components (as you had guided me for win7) but I just didn't find this AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components  path at all.  There was an application data folder but it didn't have any roaming subfolder.  So I have essentially come up against a brick wall there. Can you suggest a way out of it? Would you like me to send you a project folder as I did for win7?

It's possible that this folder is considered a system folder and is being hidden in Windows, unless changed under Folder Options.  Don't have that O/S to check here.

Or that recent VP versions simply are not supported in that old operating system.   Tried a newer operating system?  Or perhaps a very old version of Videopad?

Do link a project.  Someone will check it out.

On further experimenting, the 32-bit release does create mpg files properly (with both audio and video).  I guess I will take it.  I am not too unhappy about the quality of the output file. Since winxp is not my primary OS,  I guess we will let it rest.  Thanks again!