Starting new recording erases current session

aamay

I have always used recording software that lets you stop recording, and when you resume recording, the recording head stays at its current position so you can continue on. With Wavepad the head always goes back to zero, erasing whatever is already in your session. Last night I lost all three great takes of a very difficult 5 minute voice-over sequence, because I stopped recording and then resumed. No warning, I just touched a button and everything was gone. It was a terrible thing to do to the actors.

Is this normal behavior for Wavepad? (It's a terrible way to program the software.) Is there any way to recover the earlier part of the session when this happens? Sometimes I just need to drop out of Record for a moment and then return.

That is not normal, WavePad like you mentioned allows to stops the recording and keep continue recording on the same project. In this case  try doing a clean install and delete all the cache of the program. Uninstall your software first, then go to the folder location below on your computer then delete the WavePad folder folders:

C:\ProgramData\NCH Software
C:\Users\(Your computer profile)\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\WavePad

If you can't find the AppData folder, set Windows to show hidden files and folders with the steps from this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files.

After deleting the WavePad folder, restart your computer then install it again from the next link: https://www.nch.com.au/components/wpsetup.exe

Try this and check if you keep getting the issues.

Weird, you should be able to open FINDER > APPLICATIONS > drag and drop the app into the trash and then empty the trash. 

If you are unable to do the above you can install again and when you are asked to move the app into the apps folder and you do, you will get a prompt asking you to either keep or replace the version you currently have installed. Make sure to choose the REPLACE option.

Thanks Fred28, dragging out of the Applications folder didn't work, but using the Finder did. So I installed a new version of WavePad and tested it. If I record, stop the recording, and (even if I click at the end of the recorded material) start recording again, the timer will revert to 0, erasing what has been recorded. I can reliably reproduce this. 

But I saw I can insert a new recording if I click on a specific location inside the recording and then record. I tested this to make sure it was consistent. Also I found that the magic Undo button will restore a recording that gets deleted, although I hate to rely on this. I will say that the "Are you sure you want to stop recording?" dialog box makes me save the file immediately. And of course, by now I use the pause button as much as I can.

Thanks, I did put in a ticket when this first occurred, and Support suggested I use only the Pause button. Now that I've used Wavepad a fair amount, I've trained myself to either Pause, or immediately write out the file after stopping Record.