Editing multiple camera angles in multiple tracks

JKL

New guy creating a film with 3 camera angles each on their own track.

Editing in the timeline for now, watching each reel and splitting and cutting. As long as no clips overlap the angles preview properly all but transitions.

As 6 or 7 clips are edited I have tried moving them to a new track on top, to be the semi finished version, or have moved them to one of the existing tracks, generally the top layer. Then I can set transitions and other editing fine details which show in the sequence preview window as the finished film might.

I am wondering is this is common and would love to hear how others work their multi camera angle film editing.

Hi

I have recorded my orchestra rehearsing on several occasions using two and sometimes three cameras I set them up beforehand and get someone to start filming on each before the stick goes down.(I play an instrument) All (or both) cameras record the sound but film a different section s of the orchestra.

In VP Track 1 is the main track with the audio to be used. Track 2 and Track 3 have the other recordings. All three clips are synchronised  by matching the audio tracks using the visual peaks and listening.  Tracks 2 and three are then muted. The tracks are then grouped. Track 1 is left untouched. Cut-aways to the second and third cameras on the upper tracks are made by simply removing sections so that the uppermost clip for whichever camera direction is required is the one seen.  This generally works OK.  

Nat

More of Nat's tips that may give you some ideas...    http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/19857-how-to-work-with-multiple-video-tracks/

Another method, for visualizing where to make cuts is to apply a split screen to all clips - A side for track one, B side for track 2, etc.

To do that select all clips on a track, then click VIDEO EFFECTS on the menu bar and choose Split Screen.

Choose the number of splits, the screen position and fit, then click the green 'chain' button on the effects toolbar to apply the split to all selected clips...   1.jpg  Split out all tracks where a clip is to be isolated, then delete the related clips on the unwanted tracks.

When done with edits, remove the split-screen effects.  If necessary for transitions, all active clips can be dragged/merged onto a single higher track.

This process can be dicey, so Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.    From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

Hi

This is a screenshot from a project using 3 cameras..(One borrowed and 2 mine! ) They were set up to record from three positions.

Camera 1 was the main view with Camera 2 and 3 filming two other orchestra sections. so each clip was the same recording of the  event but from different positions.

orch.jpg

Main camera with main sound on Track 1 and Camera 2 on Track 2 and Camera 3 on track 3 . Initially they all filled the tracks, The upper ones obscuring the lower ones. Once synched using the sound tracks they were grouped to keep them together. Track 1 was not edited. By selecting particular tracks however (and knowing the music in this case) it's fairly easy to review the clip on that track and remove sections of the companion tracks so leaving it overlaid on the main camera clip. Splitting is done using the option under the sequence preview window as specific tracks can be split and sections deleted without affecting any other tracks. ( if you use the scissors by the cursor line ALL tracks are split and deleting something on Track 3 will delete the same section on ALL tracks as they are grouped.)

The final result looks a little like the image above, This project used straight cut-aways from Cam 2 and Cam 3 with no fades or transitions. If you want the cut-aways to dissolve in and out you can use the Fade options at the end of each split out bit.

Save As regularly with a specific name and be prepared to use the undo and redo arrows if things don't go as you want them to.

Some day I may try (when I am not actually playing) to film with a fixed camera in front and walk around with my other one filming continuously over players shoulders /closeups  etc but without ceasing to film. This way I can use just two tracks. Something to think about.

Nat

Great information.

This is basically how I do it now with a few exceptions. Of course each project is different in need and style and that is why I look for other ways to do these things.

I unlink sound and save as a stand alone file and create clips through all tracks for an edit on any track. It does create a lot of clips on the timeline but does not make a difference in finished film. I don't group the tracks either. The cuts for all tracks allows me to create several different sequences easily. I can see where it would not be necessary with the orchestra content as I am sure you are highlighting the instrument sections as they sound forward during a piece.

I found when clips are on different tracks the transitions only show on the track they are applied depending on which track, therefore, since each cut is on each track, it is easy to move them all to another track by selecting all clips on a track and dragging them to the 'Master Track', being the final track holding all clips. Then I dd the details like captions, titles and transitions.

Then audio can be added. Sometimes, depending on the project, you may want the full audio from start to end, such as in your orchestra, but other projects only require the audio associated with the clips.  I do try and make a digital audio recording of the room(s) or area(s) and can use that to fill in when and where needed.

I make any color or aspect corrections before creating clips and sometimes may have to zoom or scale the entire clip to remove unwanted edge views that are on the entire reel(file).

Auto save would be a great new feature for sure, especially if it was creating incremental save filenames. The same for when using clip preview and spiting there. The naming ads a '(1)' to each new clip. When I have 24 or 50 clips from a reel(file) the naming is rather long having many successive "(1)' after the name rather than creating a file with 'Clip Name 1', 'Clip Name 2', 'Clip Name 3' instead of 'Clip Name (1)(1)(1)(1)(1)(1)(1)(1)(1)(1)(1)(1)(1)(1)(1)(1)(1)(1)'.

I think I will try the split screen editing as mentioned by borate. Sometimes I can get lost in what I want creativity wise with all the switching back and forth and saving in between. As borate said it would help in visualization in the moment.

Another suggestion, is and auto-clip feature or scene maker so to speak. A script for the software to make cuts quickly behind the scenes after loading based on pixel changes, lighting and subject matter. I have had this in software many moons ago, but memory fails as to which it was. It may have been Windows Movie Maker.

I cannot complain about the features lacking because the pricing is very good for the features and functionality had. Being new to this software I am not sure of the updates or what constitutes a new version in their development. I did read 6 months is the duration of the 'Update License" so to speak. Other software seems to go for a year, but again the pricing point is very good. I would most likely not renew until there was major new features.

I use a ham radio software which separates features from fixes, thus allowing any regged user to get fixes but not features after their 1 year from purchase updates. 

Again, thanks to both for the advice and happy filmmaking.

Other NLE software may update less frequently and require a fee or be offered strictly by subscription.  VP offers that as well , but a purchase never expires, and there's no mandate to update.  New releases can always be test driven to check out what's different or new.  If unlicensed, there's normally a trial period before some features are disabled.  Retain your registration info, just in case. 

In the bin right-click on a clip and COPY.  Then, in an open area of the bin, right-click | PASTE (CLIP).  Or use <cntrl-V> for as many clips as needed.  Each can be trimmed, then dropped onto the timeline, and each will have a unique #.  Leave the master clip as is.

Another approach that results in the same outcome is to place the master on the timeline and split out the desired clips.  Drag each trimmed clip to the bin (they vanish from the timeline).  They then can be dragged back to the timeline as desired, and will remain in the bin.

Cool. 
I have used several free versions then personal and now have the pro. No complaints only observations. I have never been one for monthly subscriptions. I prefer to ‘own’.

I have used the copy and paste method. But had not considered dragging already created clips to the bin. If that does not add the (1) to each would be good to save the individual created clips for future use/ sequences.

You guys have great support and response in the forums. Keep up the good work.

Thanks. 

Dragging from the timeline creates sequentially numbered clips in the bin, just like the other method.

For protection, Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.