Warning: They make you pay for bug fixes!

MarkDe

I purchased a license for this software. The software is riddled with bugs and issues. I submitted a bug report over a year ago. They sent me an email that said they fixed one of the bugs I reported with a link to update the software. After clicking the link, it says I must pay $80 for the updated version. 

I understand developers and the company needs to make money if they spend time adding features. But charging people for bug fixes? Really? Charging people to fix issues in your software that don't work? And this is an issue I reported! I'm the one that brought it to their attention. I'm the one that helped them find a problem in their software that needed to be fixed to make it work correctly, and now they want to charge me for this?

Warning to all!! When they tell you to send them a bug report, or send them a suggestion or improvement, they are taking your ideas and then charging you for them. You are developing and testing their software for them and they are taking your money while doing it.

And if they do this for Inventoria, they do it for all their software. All programs that NCH makes will charge you for their bug fixes.

This does not seem correct. If you reached out over a year ago and you were recently told that there is a newer version that resolves the bug you had reported back then you are way over the free upgrade period which is 6 months this is probably why you are being asked to upgrade to the latest version. This you are saying here "they are taking your ideas and then charging you for them. You are developing and testing their software for them and they are taking your money while doing it." is just not true, you can reach out to NCH Tech Support team and discuss this with them. 

15 hours ago, MarkDe said:

I purchased a license for this software. The software is riddled with bugs and issues. I submitted a bug report over a year ago. They sent me an email that said they fixed one of the bugs I reported with a link to update the software. After clicking the link, it says I must pay $80 for the updated version. 

I understand developers and the company needs to make money if they spend time adding features. But charging people for bug fixes? Really? Charging people to fix issues in your software that don't work? And this is an issue I reported! I'm the one that brought it to their attention. I'm the one that helped them find a problem in their software that needed to be fixed to make it work correctly, and now they want to charge me for this?

Warning to all!! When they tell you to send them a bug report, or send them a suggestion or improvement, they are taking your ideas and then charging you for them. You are developing and testing their software for them and they are taking your money while doing it.

And if they do this for Inventoria, they do it for all their software. All programs that NCH makes will charge you for their bug fixes.

You are lucky atleast your reported bug is fixed.. I am using Version for MAC and when Web access is on, it takes huge memory (100GB+), crippling my complete machine. I reported it several time and nothing has been heard neither it is fixed.

Regarding upgrade Charges. This is the cheapest invoicing software, which I found for MAC Machines, with CSV import and Web Interface (Many bugs in it, like memory hogging, you can't change currency and as I have two companies setup. you can't change that either. More importantly, There should be some kind of Archieve invoices option for sure. We sell on ebay, items costing 1-2-3£ so we have plenty of invoices and that slows down whole software.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 12:41 PM, Fred28 said:

This does not seem correct. If you reached out over a year ago and you were recently told that there is a newer version that resolves the bug you had reported back then you are way over the free upgrade period which is 6 months this is probably why you are being asked to upgrade to the latest version. This you are saying here "they are taking your ideas and then charging you for them. You are developing and testing their software for them and they are taking your money while doing it." is just not true, you can reach out to NCH Tech Support team and discuss this with them. 

There is a difference between upgrades and bug fixes. I agree users should have to pay for new features in an upgrade. I disagree that users should have to pay for bug fixes. Bug fixes should not have a time limit. I paid for broken software that does not work correctly, and now NCH wants to charge me for them to fix their broken software. This is different than new features. 

And yes, it is absolutely true they are charging me to improve their software. I found a bug, which means I tested the software for them, and I reported it. NCH fixed this bug in their newest version, which I have to pay an additional $80 if I want the bug fix.  

• 5 months later...

I wouldn't. Has worked flawlessly for me on everything I have asked it to do. The price and no monthly fees I think it was a very fair price for what I have created. Would I like to see more upgrades with a smaller upgrade fee absolutely but they seem to be working on a ton of different software so this isn't a one software company. It would be great to see some of the great suggestions put forward be implemented. Just my $.02 and thats Canadian so $.01 US