Is this the maximum export performance I can get?

Thomas B

Hello,

I was wondering if this the maximum performance I get can with an Ryzen 9 5900x for exporting an video. In the linked picture you can see, that the exporting process is using just a few cpu threads. Is this normal? 

https://bilderupload.org/image/026633202-videopad-low-cpu-usage.png

The mp4 encoder settings are for this project are:

video H264/3000 kbps/Auto  
audo AAC/like input/192 kbps

Is there a way to speed up the export by using all threads?

There's no setting that will enhance this.  However, improvements have been made in recent versions.

Try the latest 64-bit release.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Hello,

There was actually a new version. I've replaced the german version 10.64 by the english version 10.86. Yes, I've a licence for

Videopad and other tools. With the new version the cpu usage is even lower with same export settings. 

https://bilderupload.org/image/604642211-videopad-lower-cpu-usage.png 

You can also see in the picture that the working temperature of the cpu is lower. But the duration of the export process doesnt seem to be longer. I'm confused 🙂

When I started the newer version and loaded an existing project into workspace, Videopad used all cpu threads. It maybe recreated all cache files.

https://bilderupload.org/image/543843250-videopad-high-cpu-usage-l.png

That's a reasonable assumption.  The cache is empty when a new version is installed.

Export speed will improve with lower resolutions - possibly lower bit and frame rates or different codecs.  Experiment.

If you care to share that project, someone here will compare how it does on their PC.  Mention the export settings desired.

The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

I've reinstalled the older version 10.64, because the H265 codec is ruined in 10.86. When you chose the preset setting for high or low quality the bitrate of an exported video is much too low (< 1000 kbps). You see ugly artifacts even in high quality. And if you try to set the bitrate manually you get an error message after pressing the button export "Failed: Could not initialize video output". 

Then I just noticed now that videopad brings stutters into an exported video where no stutters exists in the original source, even if you choose the same frame rate (H264 & H265). 

No  failure when H265 was set manually here on a small project to 40000.  Result...   image.png

At 25000... image.png   No glitches noted with H264.

Try a clean install.  What are your PC's specs:  CPU/GPU/RAM/free space?

Need to see your project for analysis.  Please share it. The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Hello,

I made a clean install of 10.86, but I still get the error message, when setting a manual bitrate at H265. High quality setting is too low (<1000kbps). 

https://bilderupload.org/image/a4e806498-videopad-v1086-problems1.png

Here are too simple files of the project, recorded with Smartphone Galaxy Xcover Pro (1980x1080@30.01fps).

Two Files

Preferred settings for the project is 1280x720 and max 5000 kbps. I also tried custom fps of constant 30.01 fps

My pc specs are

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: RX 6700 XT 12 GB
RAM: 32 GB Corsair
Space: > 350 GB free on a second SSD

-0-

When I convert one the files with handbrake with same/equal settings (Preset Vimeo/Youtube 720p30) I dont get additional stutters. The process is much faster and the CPU has a better workload even with H264! This raises the question of whether Videopad's export function could be optimized after all.

https://bilderupload.org/image/ac0015642-videopad-handbrake-compar.png

With 10.87, using H265, 720 export of 151211 had no failures at manual bitrates of 25000 or this 40000...  image.png

No stutter seen with the H264 encoder.

Same with 150555 - no stutter with H264.  Using H265, High Quality export was about 418Kb/s but manual 40000 was 26.1Mb/s.

720 export of that file at 40000 with H265 took 55 seconds.   Using H264, six seconds.  Frame rate variable 30.

So unable to replicate your findings at this time.

Which media player do you use? I use the standard windows media player and see the same stutters near position 00:24-00:26, 00:36-00:38, 00:49 in your exported video file, and a lot more with VLC Plus player. But in windows media player it isn't always the same position (+/- x seconds). And when I press the video scrollbar 5 seconds back at a stutter position to check if it reproduces the stutter, it is gone for this position! Strange, a buffer problem? A few minutes ago amd release the 21.9.2 driver, but no improvement. I also still get the error "Could not initialize video output" when using H265 and manual set for the video bitrate. 

Viewed the OneDrive upload in WMP, MPC-BE and in the Windows OneDrive player at the codes you mentioned.  Iris 'flickering' but no break in continuity.

Exported a 720 mp4 with H265 at 25000 and all was well - no error.  Did another, using H264, forcing Lossless.  It took one second and looked smooth.

There was a very slight jitter on the 555 file pan of the car when using the MPEG4 encoder, but this wasn't seen with H264.

Sorry, just can't replicate your issues.  Someone else may chime in here with their observations.

It seems to be a system-specific problem, so you have little chance of tracing the problem. The problem will probably resolve itself one day with a reinstallation of Windows and more up-to-date drivers. And I m thinking of buying a better video source anyway like DJI Pocket 2 or so.

I ve still got an old laptop with windows 7 and I could see the slight jitter too. Strangely my shots there are rotated by 180 °. 

Today I had my first walk with a DJI Pocket 2, quality much better (bitrate almost doubled at the same resolution and fps compared to my smartphone). But I see some jitters too, when exported with videopad, but not with handbrake. Therefore, I would like to make a suggestion. What about another option for the frame rate? "Just same as source & variable fps" A few weeks ago, when I wasn't doing any video editing, someone with more experience recommended that I should use this exact setting. Like in videopad you can enter a value or you just pick "same as source"

https://bilderupload.org/image/e22c25456-same-as-source.jpg

Still spot no problem here, but perhaps your eyes are more discerning.  Frame rate can make a difference.

As you know, there are numerous frame rate choices for VP export...   image.png

The fps that VP chooses may often be optimal IMO, based upon source fps.  Variable (Smart Max 45fps) can be a good manual pick, if not already shown.

To make a suggestion, click the chevron at the top-right of the VP window and click on the feedback/suggestion item.

Further testing confirmed stutter with the H265 encoder.

But no stutter when export was set to Min15fps, Max30fps or Min30fps, Max 60fps.  While both those choices indicate "variable", the result is "constant."

This was tested at both "high quality" and 40000 bitrates.  Try those frame rates for both H264 and H265.

Hi!

Yes, I already use Min15fps - Max30fps or Min30fps - Max60fps because I get best result with this settings.

But H265 is still not usable for me. When I set the bitrate High Quality the video only gets 2000 kbps. That is too little for good quality on pc (artifacts). And when I specify a manual value, I get the error message "could not initialize video output". 

H264 is still good enough. Yesterday I recorded some clips with my Pocket 2  I could export some clips just with a bitrate of 1500 kbps (480p) for sharing in media channel. I have to keep in mind, that many user watch the channels with their smartphone with lower bandwidth. If stutters occur there, it is not quite as bad.

The "failed" error has been seen in some releases, but not with 10.87.  Exported beta H265 at 25000 your file looked pretty steady.  No error. 

Overall bit rate:   25.2 Mb/s.

Do notice that repeated playbacks may vary slightly though - rarely, there's a minute shutter as the car comes into view.

• 2 weeks later...

But please, can you activate the use of hardware acceleration for Ryzen CPUs and H264? For comparison I tested the export of a 16 min video clip with VP and Movavi with nearly the same settings (H264, resolution, bitrate, constant fps). VP takes 01:50 and MV takes just only 48 seconds for that clip. MV uses all cpu threads at maximum possible clock rate. VP just use one thread and the CPU stays cool. I like the classic style and functions of VP, but I want to see my Ryzen CPU (5900X) working and I dont want to lose time unnecessarily.

Need to have the actual 16 minute clip for comparison.  Link it please.

What version?  Look under Menu | HELP | ABOUT.

A sixteen-minute 1080 clip exported here at constant 60fps with 2200kbps quality took about :22, on a PC with an I7 CPU.