Is there a way to do text to speech instead of speech to text?

Birdsye

Hi

• Open VP and click the Audio Tab on the toolbar
  • Now click Text to Speech
  • Type the text required into the box that appears (Synthesize speech) By default you should see that the voice is Microsoft Anna
  • Click the blue box Synthesize speech. This now places the Sythesized speech.wav into the audio files bin
  • Drag/drop or place the audio clip onto the timeline.

There are other Microsoft voices that you can use if you have downloaded them and if they are compatible with the VP speech engine. Microsoft Anna is not TOO bad but is in an American accent and the inflections are not always correct. Some web based on-line T/S  are indistinguishable from a live person reading but although you might hear the result it can't be downloaded without a fee. But give Anna try.

Nat

Hi Borate

Did they come with your version of Windows? Vista it seems just has Anna. Her friends are on holiday and she is working hard here but is the only voice  listed with VP...:)

z.jpg

I am not certain how I can get more although I have played about and tried. Is it the same speech engine? It's a good option for slideshows if the voice is OK.

Nat

Hi,

Don't know about Vista, but in Windows 10, click the notification icon (bottom-right of the screen | ALL SETTINGS and then type "speech" into the search box.

Click on SPEECH.  The available voices are shown as well as options to choose the default and to install additional speech packs.  Here's what they contain...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/appendix-a-supported-languages-and-voices-4486e345-7730-53da-fcfe-55cc64300f01

Anna seems to be missing.  Perhaps Zira edged her out?

Hi B

I think Vista (being old) is not supported with other TTS voices apart from Anna. I can download and install Mary and Mike. They display on the choice list in VP (below) but neither actually play.  Registry entries for these are in a different format. to Anna so I have to assume they are incompatible with the Vista OS when it comes to the crunch. If they weren't, they would play in VP like yours do in Windows 10. 

z.jpg

Ah well! :(

Nat