After installing DeskFX both playback and record devices are gone.

Ben001

Uninstalling DeskFX didn't bring back playback/record devices. I also did uninstall/install sound drivers to no avail. I'm on a Win7 system. Do I have to re-install the whole OS to get back my sound devices?

Does DeskFX edit the registry? I read that the symptoms points in the direction that a service may have been disabled for DeskFX to be the standard service. If this is the case, what part of the registry do I have to edit to get back the information before installation of DeskFX?

This can't be the first time you hear about this bug. Are there no help to receive here?

In this case, you may want to do a Windows system restore to a date prior to this issue starting.  After you have restore your computer, test and confirm if all the audio drivers work as intended. 

Regarding the issues with DeskFX, you may want to contact the NCH Software support team for better assistance on this matter. 

1 hour ago, Chris75 said:

In this case, you may want to do a Windows system restore to a date prior to this issue starting.  After you have restore your computer, test and confirm if all the audio drivers work as intended. 

Regarding the issues with DeskFX, you may want to contact the NCH Software support team for better assistance on this matter. 

System restore is not an option.

Thanks for the lead to NCH. I chose to file a bug report.

• 7 months later...

The solution is simple, upgrade windows 10 to version 20H2.

The conflict was generated by the Realtek driver and the .net framework version. Realtek audio console stopped working after installing DeskFX, but the real problem was the .net framework version 

• 1 year later...

I, also, have JUST experienced this event a few days ago, and so far have failed to get my sound devices back.

This is UNBELIEVABLY TERRIBLE software design.  No item of software should ever be capable of doing what this just did to me, and which it did to the original poster.  A VIRUS would be less malicious, because there are ways to detect, block, and clean viruses.

System restore, also, was not an option for me.  I'm not sure why, but while I had a full set of "system restore points," prior to installing (to "test drive") the various NCH software package items...  after installing them all, I discovered that I have no system restore points from prior to that point.  Somehow, SOMETHING in all those various installs (probably the backup software???) shut down my Shadow Copy service (I've since re-enabled that and am getting new restore points created as expected) and somehow... though the files seem to still be in my system volume directory...  rendered all my old restore points "undetected."

Wow.  Just wow.  I've never, ever encountered such openly MALICIOUS software behavior.  Honestly, most viruses aren't this bad!

So...  I have a full set of audio devices, clearly present and "working" in my "Device Manager," but "Windows Audio" still says "no device detected" for both input and output devices.

Saying "do a system restore" is a nonsensical response.  Yeah, it might work, but it SHOULDN'T HAVE TO.  No APPLICATION SOFTWARE should ever be able to make core, OS-level changes to my system.  And no application software should ever fail, under any circumstances, to totally reverse everything it has done when uninstalled, even if it does do something like that.

And the smart-ass who told the OP (who clearly states that he's running Win7) that the "solution is to upgrade Windows 10 to 20H2" is obviously not paying any attention.

I'm hoping that reinstalling dotNet will fix my issues.  If it doesn't, my next option is to do a Windows 7 "repair install."  And if that doesn't work...  a total clean reinstallation (of the OS and EVERY SINGLE GODDAMNED APPLICATION).

The proper answer from NCH ought to have been "well, here's what the software does, and here's how to undo it."  Actual HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS.  Actually, the proper thing would be for NCH to not have put software onto the market which is even capable of doing what their various software packages have done.

Shutting down and "blocking" my system restore points?  UNFORGIVEABLE.

Hijacking and breaking my Windows Audio?  UNFORGIVEABLE.

Both of the above were operational and fully working prior to my being lured into "checking out NCH's suite."

And God only knows what other malicious harm has been done to my system, which I haven't identified yet.

I thought some of the applications seemed interesting, and was actually considering buying licenses for several of the items if they worked well.

At this point, given the sabotage NCH's software has done to my previously fully functional system, and the casual attitude towards it (honestly, I can't even contact the people at NCH directly unless I "buy a license" first???) plus the dismissive responses above...

...  well, I have just become an adamant ANTI-NCH "evangelist."

Again, the proper response would be to HAVE A MEANS OF CONTACT, first off, without paying first...  and second, to provide a means of repairing the damage done by NCH's software, apart from the two FLIPPANT responses provided above.