Trim a video (not in the timeline, but in the format)

ts-d

Via Effects - Cropping I managed to crop the video Now I would like to save it exactly like this: Only the cropped should appear in the new video, not the edge that was cut away. But when I save or export the video like this, what has been cut off appears as a black area. Unfortunately, you cannot choose any free values under resolution when saving. Otherwise I would like to use the cut size here. Why is that not possible?

• borate changed the title to Trim a video (not in the timeline, but in the format)

CROP has no 'preview effect' box;  what you see in preview is what you get.

The checkerboard area is transparent, so if the cropped image is overlaid above an image on another track, the lower track's image will be seen in the background.

Check out the picture-in-picture effect.

Hi

As an example of Crop and Scale...

16:9 clip at full screen...

z.jpg

After using Crop and retaining the AR at 16:9  and clip preview rectangle moved to area required......

zz.jpg

The chequered area is transparent. (If this clip was on Track 2 with another clip below it on Track 1 you would have Picture in Picture. )

Now the result is Scaled   to full screen in Clip Preview  using the square handles and centred using the circle......but Keeping the aspect ratio.....by ticking the box.........

zzz.jpg

The export is what you now see in the Sequence Preview window.....

zzzz.jpg

Zoom is simpler to use and will crop and enlarge the selected area back to full screen in one step but choose the 16:9 AR from the list. Again what you see in Sequence Preview is what is exported.

Nat