Videopad showing very fuzzy preview of video

Dave Rado

Looks just dandy here, both in PV and upon export.  What version of VP is being used?

Install the latest.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Hi borate

I'm using 8.77. I bought it last September, which is more than 6 months ago, so I would presumably have to pay in order to install and register the latest version - and surely I shouldn't have to pay just in order to get the version that I paid for less than a year ago to work properly?

It does export fine, but it no longer seems to preview correctly.

Here's a screen capture of the first frame of the original video as displayed in VLC Media Player.

Here's a screen capture of the first frame of the original video as displayed in Videopad.

Any thoughts what could be causing this and how to fix the problem?

Many thanks

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again borate

I've discovered that if I change my laptop's power scheme to "High Power", this fixes the problem and the picture is sharp.

Your mention of the video driver got me thinking on the right lines, so many thanks for that.

I'm not clear though why VLC, WMP and other media players can display a sharp picture even when I'm using a low power scheme but Videopad's previewer can't?

By the way, my laptop is using the latest video drivers that are supported by Dell. I did try installing a later driver for my AMD controller, that I downloaded from the AMD website but it froze my machine - and then Windows wouldn't boot after that! I had to roll back Windows to the last system restore point in order to recover it, which isn't easy to do without being able to start Windows. So when you suggest to people that they check that their drivers are up to date I think you should first ask them if they are using a laptop - and if they are, I don't think you should suggest they install drivers from the chip manufacturer's website unless the laptop manufacturer definitely supports dong that.

Anyway, the original problem is fixed now, and I wouldn't have thought of changing the power scheme to "High Power" without your input. Many thanks for your help.

Dave