Combining AVI and MP4

dfoss

I am combining older family video AVI 720-576 with later stuff from my present camera  in MP4  - and Exporting my edited film as MP4 1920-1080 HD (using version 10.36)

My question is - is it best to edit and correct exposure etc in AVI first and export it as an MP4 clip to combine later with the others? - or does the export function happily apply all effects and transition from a timeline of both file types?

Would there be a difference in the final quality if I converted to mp4 first and then edited for exposure etc?

Hi

The export does not apply any effects or transitions. You do that when you edit. If you are simply combining your AVI with MP4 there should be no problem. Several ways of working.....You could load each and edit each individually (exposure/transitions/cuts etc. ) and export them individually and then reload both exports to combine them in a single project. More logically I would load both together into the one project and edit that. Export the result in the format and resolution you prefer. (say, mp4)  The final quality of the export depends on what resolution you set and the resolution of the original material. As an mp4 you can set the export quality and resolution can be set to auto match the project. That's up to you. Exposures/transitions and effects etc.will not be affected.

Nat

Thanks - I understand that -and have been editing a mixed timeline happily so far - just checking I had not missed a better way. Thanks again

Did I see elsewhere that I could preview in a lesser resolution for speed and the vpj file would correctly apply all the edits to the source files on export?

Hi

In older (very old) versions the preview resolution could be altered. With the improvements NCH have made to the way the data is manipulated that option is no longer available and a "happy" medium seems to be set. Multiple tracks, multiple effects and the increased resolutions now being used means that some PCs can struggle at times to show a smooth playback. The 64 bit version has probably overcome that. (I am still on 32 bit. so can't say) Edits etc are not affected as these are held as instructions for the program to apply irrespective of the resolution of the clip used.

You may probably be referring to Proxy editing. Very high resolution files with which the program may struggle can be converted to a lower resolution using a program like NCH Prism.  These can then be used used for the editing. The project can then be saved and the lower resolution files exchanged for the originals. (Keeping the same names and folder) Opening the saved project vpj file VP will load the work with the original hi res files and apply all the edits as normal. The project using the hi res files is exported in the normal way. (There are other ways to change the files around but this is probably a better description of the process.)

Nat

Just to add...the 32-bit release generally performs well.  The 64-bit more capably handles ultra high-def, complex, lengthy projects.  Get it here.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.