Blue "selection" keeps on chasing the mouse after Update 10.57

St Bosse

After an update few hours ago, movement of my mouse cursor over the timeline, randomly started selecting sections (blue block between a point and redline) and runs after the cursor. I can't persuade it to release. Moment I move over the timeline area again, it grabs the cursor and makes a blue selection again. Can't get rid of it! It sticks like sticky tape on one's shoe!

I really cannot have this at a critical phase of my video project to be delivered soon!

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

St B

This is very annoying and irritating. Red line jumps at the cursor every time the cursor moves over the main track and opens a blue selection block!

Update: After some testing on various files it seems to be caused by set of circumstances (can't say what). I can reproduce it every time on the same project, but the same steps on another project will not.

So, I don't think it is the fault of the VideoPad update ? 

Update (day later): I think I found out what causes the situation. I sort of now can reproduce the issue. It typically happens when on has tracks  "grouped"  and then add a new clip to the group's sequence. At this point everything is still fine but as soon as I add a video effect like "cross fade", the problem starts! Looks like one has to ungroup everything first (and run the risk of something moving somewhere, so be careful), and then add the video effect, and regroup again.

Any comments?

St B

Edited by St Bosse
update message

Not seeing unusual behavior here.

When the pointer is placed on the red line a two-headed arrow appears.  When the thin line is then dragged it will create the blue selection area.  Right-click in that area to see the options it offers.

If a selection isn't desired, drag the line using the 'arrow' at its top...  image.png

If it's still screwy. reinstall the latest release.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Okay, I have updated, reinstalled and recently updated again. I am now on version 10.60.

I still get this blue annoying section select on the time line chasing after me but I have refined the process to reproduce the issue quite easy.

It happens like clockwork every time I revisit a crossfade setting on the timeline to change the transition time. Going backwards (Ctrl-Z etc.) does not reset the issue. It will stay now until I close VP and restart again. The only workaround is to, on start-up, to change the transition time in the global options to what one wants, then select the crossfade transition where it will pick up the default transition time, and continue normally. If I want a different transition time, I have to restart VP, change the global setting and continue. 

It seems that once you touched the transition time for a specific transition on the timeline, something sets or swaps a variable in the software, thus the need to reload VP to get rid of it.

Any comments?

St B

Using 10.57(64), am unable to replicate this after applying CROSSFADE to several clips in a two-dozen clip project and repeatedly changing their duration.  Grouping makes no difference.  Be sure the PC video driver and Direct-X are current... https://www.nch.com.au/kb/10265.html

Be sure that you are not dragging the red line.  That will definitely create a blue selection area.   Press ESC to remove it.   Instead, drag the arrow.

Provide a video of what you see if possible and share it here...

Upload the video file to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

A weird one, never before seen here or reported.  Try these measures...

In the search box at the bottom-left of the Windows desktop, type "Mouse." <enter>

Click the Additional Mouse Options link.  Click the BUTTONS tab.  Be sure that the Click Lock box isn't checked.

https://content.invisioncic.com/r33241/monthly_2021_07/image.png.6340201d91c152defb10327a4ccfca90.png

In Videopad, under OPTIONS | DISK tab, Clear Unused Cache Files.

Close Videopad.  Using Windows Explorer (the file manager), locate these directories (folders) and delete all their files...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Components"

"C:\Users\<PC name>\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components"

Install this version.

Please report back.

I have followed all instructions to the "T".

All mouse setting where as per your images/instruction.
"Clear Unused Cache Files" where already set.
All files where deleted as per above and "This" version installed.

. . .and "no change" issue is still there!

However, I did accidently discovered something. While "Esc" does not release the cursor or reset the situation,  right click on the timeline does! followed by a left click. This is at lease quicker than discarding everything and restarting but is clumsy and still not right. 

I maintain that changing the transition time value does set a undesired software variable somewhere.

Next suggestion?

St B

Changing the transition time doesn't do that here - in repeated tests on different VP versions.

Try it on another PC, if available.

Let's see your project. 

Share it and someone will take a look.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

I think I found the solution.  Do not leave the transition screen/box by clicking outside the box, on the time line etc. ONLY leave the transition box by "Enter". Then the problem does not come up.

Update: I don't think the problem is project specific. I have tried now with  various projects and I can reproduce the same issue on all of them.

St B

Yes, there can be odd behavior if the timeline is clicked immediately after changing duration of a transition, though what you see isn't seen here.

Press <enter> or click in the bin area.  Or simply drag the transition line edges to the desired length.  image.png

Hi

The blue selection action should not move with the mouse movement if the mouse button has been released. There are slightly different actions depending on exactly where you click.

Normally...

The blue selection box should be seen if you place the mouse arrow in the empty "Drag and Drop here " overlay track and press the left mouse button down.  Keep the left mouse button pressed and then move the mouse arrow left/right. The red cursor line will jump to the mouse arrow and as you drag L/R the blue zone will appear with the red cursor line also moving.  

Releasing the button should disconnect the mouse leaving the blue selected area showing and also leave the Split/Delete/Blue-Red brackets and an Export selected Region options....

z.jpg

A similar action is also seen  if you move the mouse arrow to  the actual cursor line  when you will see a double headed arrow 

Clicking the tracks themselves anywhere other than on the cursor line will not move the cursor line. Only clicking in the overlay zone will move the cursor but without the double headed arrows appearing.

You can cancel the selection by left clicking the Clip Bin area. Having released the mouse button the cursor line and the selected area should not alter.

Hi Nat,

Yes it does work exactly like that, if that is what you want to do. However, this process is totally disconnected from the issues I had and what is happening when  selecting timing on transitions in the popup box. 

But thank you anyway for responding.

St B

No worries Borate, I solved the problem already on condition as above.

-0-0-

Oh no! Problem is back! I have just updated to the latest release and erratic "parts of sequence grabbing the cursor and drags along" is back! 

I also see that the red line on the sequence timeline sometimes does not run as the sequence plays. It just sits at the last position. This happens randomly.

Anybody else found this as well?

St B

• 1 month later...

Date of your query is July 28, so posting may be old?  If the blue line issue is current it's not being seen here.  When dragging the scrubber (the red-line) don't drag in the middle as this produces a double-headed arrow that will create a blue selection. 

Drag only by the top of the line.  image.png   Do not hold down <shift>.

Haven't spotted the line not moving.  If possible, upload a video of this behavoir and link it here please.  Upload the file/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."