Merging projects

St Bosse

I have 15 projects to merge to get to my final video! My initial idea was to finalize each project, then "export video" to get clips, and then make a final project where all 15 clips can be joined with some added fine tuning, then export final video.

Do you agree with my reasoning?

Question: Do I stay on max resolution as per the initial input clips (1080p 60fps) and do compression etc as the last step? . . or should I drop to 29fps and lower bitrate already before joining the 15 clips?

Please help

St B

Suggest exporting each project at close to the source settings, then export the final last step at whatever settings work best for your situation.

One method is to import individual exports into VP using FILE | IMPORT CLIPS FROM ANOTHER PROJECT, which will create a new sequence for each.

After all projects are loaded, click the + sign next to the last timeline sequence to add a new blank sequence.  Then in the bin click the SEQUENCES tab.  Add all sequences to the timeline, then export that sequence.

Or simply import the individual, exported sequences, place them on the timeline (in a single sequence) and export.

Remember, when exported clips are imported they will be composited - no individual edits will remain.

2 hours ago, borate said:

Remember, when exported clips are imported they will be composited - no individual edits will remain.

Yes, looks like we are on the same page here. I keep the original projects as the sources to work on should editing or changes be necessary. Then export again and add the "clip" to the final project again. i.e. It is always a "one-way-street" process, source project -> export -> final project -> export final video.

Thanks borate,

St B

Hi

Your suggested way of working....completing one  section of your project  and exporting it then  when finished recombining the exports to create a final video is sound although, as noted above your edits will no longer be available. You could also do each section and then create a sequence with it finishing by adding the sequences together to create the final project for export. Again however the individual edits will have been finalised.

Nat