retouch

willr

Retouch used to include a 'clone' tool accessed through Retouch - Touch Up. This was a very useful item which seems to have gone from the menu. The only option on Retouch is an item called 'smoothing,' which I don't know how to use and seems to have no 'help' file or video to inform me. Can anybody offer me any assistance? ie Where is Clone, if it still exists? What does 'smoothing' do. and how do I use it?

I too have the same issue although the version of Photopad Professional 7.48 also has just the Retouch-Touch Up for which I seem to be unable to get the brush source to work. I have asked Technical Support where the Clone Stamp has gone but all I received was a description of how it works. Retouching photos seems to have become a difficult assignment. I cannot find "Smoothing" in the version I have. It seems the earlier version I down loaded when I purchased Photopad was more workable than the current update. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've just upgraded from 4.12 to 7.50, and I agree the "Touch Up" tool has reverted to what it was in earlier versions of Photopad (prior to 4) ie a cloning of one specific area of the image to another. I find this to be slow and cumbersome and I found the 4.12 version (ie brush cloning) far more useful. For this reason I'll be staying on a version that supports brush cloning. 

The Touch Up tool does not work the same way it did in previous versions, but you can still clone. You will be given two circles, the one in the left will be used for the area you want to "copy", so you can drag it to the position you need. The circle in the right side will be used to paste the copied area. Then, you can change the size of the circles, you just need to hover the mouse over the circle and the cursor will change to two arrows (pointing left and right), so you can click and drag it to the left or right to resize the circles.

You can also install an older version that includes the options you were used to: http://www.oldversiondownload.com/oldversions/photopad-7-40-2021-05-24.exe

Note that some tutorials or screenshots you see on the website, may be recorded using older versions and are used to illustrate some features, so the options you see in your current version may be a little different.

NCH Software formally takes suggestions or feedback about products through the form at http://www.nch.com.au/suggestions/

Thanks Elk, for those suggestions and links. I will be staying with an older version and not upgrading. For what I do, (touching up mostly landscape type photos), the old "brush cloning" tool is immeasurably more efficient. I installed V7.40, but it also uses the new (and original) "clone copy" technique.

• 1 year later...