Locking overlay clips

St Bosse

May I please change the question a little.

I am busy with editing video consisting of various video tracks and one master sound track. (It is ballet dancing). 
One track is the master video track while the other video tracks are pieces to cut in at certain points. I use the master sound track to sync.

Question: As I go along, the short cut-in pieces are placed in position (as overlays) but ... how do I lock them to the master video and sound track in order not to move by accident when I work on the next or other video cut-ins while getting their positioning/sync right?

Thanks

St B

Normally, adding cut-ins on an overlay track won't move existing clips.

Yet they can be grouped:  Select clips, then right-click | GROUP SELECTED CLIPS.  Or, simply right-click at the left of the overlay track and temporarily LOCK TRACK.

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

If you make a mistake, immediately press <ctrl-Z>  (EDIT | UNDO) to go back, step-by-step.

• borate changed the title to Locking overlay clips (St Bosse)

Thank you Borate, I typically do "save as" with incrementing numbers for exactly that purpose. Good suggestion! 
The problem usually comes in when, after lots of work and saves, that one suddenly realises that and ask the question, "when did this clip of 2 hours ago decided to shift left or right. "
Grouping to lock together with the master track - good suggestion! Thank you.

Question: During this process and final checking one may find that a cut needs a slight trim on the front side, and in so doing  wants the clip to start later, but still in sync (grouped). "Set end" for trimming the end of the clip works perfectly, but the front side gives me a headache. As soon as I move the "Set start" slightly to the right  so that the clip starts a second or so later, it does shorten the clip but the whole clip jumps forward to the original starting point and is out of sync. All I want is to trim the front end off. Position should stay the same.    

Help please

St B

• borate changed the title to Locking overlay clips

If necessary, hold down <alt> when trimming the start of the clip and it should leave a gap, with other clips unaffected.

This behavior may vary from release to release, or even when reinstalling the same version.

Hi

If you have an overlay clip in position (acting as a cut-away) and want to trim of a section at the start but leave it in position so it remains in synch with the main audio track, try this.....You may not need to group clips.

• In the example shown, the overlay clip on Track 2 starts precisely on a sound peak of Audio Track 1....
  •  
  • z.jpg
  •  
  • Its in synch but needs to start a little bit later
  • Position the timeline cursor at the precise position where you want the cut-away on the upper track to start. In this example it's one of the smaller peaks to the right on Audio Track 1.
  • Instead of trimming it using the START/STOP brackets which will trim the clip but cause it to move back, SPLIT  the clip using the Split option under the Sequence Preview window. This will give you a choice of tracks.
  • In this example pick Video Track 2..... 
  •  
  • zz.jpg
  •  
  • The overlay clip will split at the selected point....
  • zzz.jpg
  •  
  • Right click the section of the overlay clip not required and Delete  it. The remainder of the overlay clip will stay where it was and remain in synch.....
  •  
  • zzzz.jpg
  •  
  • You can do it in a similar fashion to shorten the overlay clip as well.
  • Depending on requirements you can either mute the sound associated with the overlay on Audio 2; trim it separately or unlink it and delete it.

Nat