Locking Clips?

Slairlayh

I am trying to replace the image in several clips, but doing so increases the length of the clip and subsequently shifts the clips afterwards to move down the timeline.

A web search told me that there is a clip locking feature so it does not move positions, but I can't seem to find it. Where is this feature and what does it look like?

Is it possible that this feature is not available in version 7.51?

Hi

You can lock a track if you right click at the left end. But this might not be necessary

•  
  • To replace an image try this..
  • Hover over the image on the timeline and note the duration.(usually the Options default value)
  • Now, in the bin,  click the image you are going to replace it with.
  • Select Change Clip Speed from the menu
  • In the window that comes up Change the Duration value to the value you noted above and click Set
  • On the timeline move the red cursor line to the start of the image to replace
  • Select the new image in the bin and choose Overlay on Sequence at Cursor. It will be posted to a position over the  clip to be replaced and have the same duration.
  • Delete the old image 
  • Drag the new image down vertically . The stuff to the right will move along and the new image will be inserted.

There are other ways to do this but this is reasonably intuitive.

e.g.Once you have the new image the correct duration you can delete the old image (which will shorten the timeline) and then drag/drop the new one to the split point where the old image started. This will insert the new image and push the timeline back again to its original length.

You could drop the new image to the front of the old one (i.e. insert it) and then delete the old image.

All sorts of possibilities. If you make a mistake then click the Undo blue arrow on the toolbar and try again. You could also do a Save Project As so in the event of a real catastrophe you can start again.

Nat