Cannot play DSS files

Guest Stephen

Guest Stephen

I have used Express Scribe with DSS files from a Philips 9350 recorder. Occasionally when I load files the duration turns up as 00:00 and they will not play. They will play on a generic file player so I know they're not corrupt. I have downloaded the latest software version but now I have this problem with all my files, including ones I'd previously transcribed with Express Scribe. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bruce Avilla

We're having exactly the same problem, with the same Philips 9350 unit, and using the download into Express Scribe. Any recording plays fine in the Philips playback utility, but once we "load" it into ExpScribe, the length goes to "0", and there is nothing to play.

Also, the Priority marking from the Philips never shows up in Express Scribe as other than normal.

We're using V3.21 downloaded about 10 days ago.

Please let us know ASAP what we should try next!

Bruce in Huntsville, AL.

• 3 weeks later...
I have used Express Scribe with DSS files from a Philips 9350 recorder. Occasionally when I load files the duration turns up as 00:00 and they will not play.

With version 4.01 we have made a few more tweeks to the dss loading process. Give the latest version a spin and download. Hopefully your loading problem will go away.

Guest Paul Ryan
I have used Express Scribe with DSS files from a Philips 9350 recorder. Occasionally when I load files the duration turns up as 00:00 and they will not play. They will play on a generic file player so I know they're not corrupt. I have downloaded the latest software version but now I have this problem with all my files, including ones I'd previously transcribed with Express Scribe.  :(

We had this problem, though i may have been unique. Someone had set up a second PC to suck files out of the First PC's working folder.

So the first computer thought it had a file there, but it had been sucked out, so then it just displayed Zero's.

• 3 weeks later...
We had this problem, though i may have been unique.  Someone had set up a second PC to suck files out of the First PC's working folder.

So the first computer thought it had a file there, but it had been sucked out, so then it just displayed Zero's.

You need to have the decoder for DSS files addon installed on your PC in order to open these files in Express Scribe. You can download the dss32.exe installation file for this addon from www.nch.com.au/components.

This DSS file decoder addon installs the sub-folder dss32 (which contains the file dss32.dll) into the folder C:\Program Files\NCH Swift Sound\Components on your PC. If you have recently upgraded Express Scribe and are now having problems with DSS files, check for the presence of this sub-folder and its file on your computer. If they aren't there, go to the website and download and install the decoder.

Also remember that Express Scribe will only support DSS files recorded in SP mode. It does not like LP mode recordings at all.

• 6 months later...
Guest Elaine

I am having the same problem and have downloaded the new 4.02 and the DSS component file. Is there anything further I can do? Did this solve everyone elses' problem?

More on my specific problem: every once in a while (definitely not every time) one of our .dss files causes an error in the scribe program upon loading of the file and closes the program. The error message says that an error log is being created (which I cannot ever find, by the way). In playing with some of the .ini and .dat files, etc., I have figured out that the file is coming through with a "Time" value, but a "Dur" value of 00:00. I can use another transcription software to hear the file, but it is not nearly as user friendly as ES.

Guest Colleen

I am having the exact same problem. I just installed this program and downloaded all the newest updates and I cannot play anything. The files I just received all indicate 00:00 as the duration. Now what? I don't have other transcription software and I need to do these ASAP.

Guest Guest_Stephen_*
I am having the same problem and have downloaded the new 4.02 and the DSS component file.  Is there anything further I can do?  Did this solve everyone elses' problem?

More on my specific problem: every once in a while (definitely not every time) one of our .dss files causes an error in the scribe program upon loading of the file and closes the program.  The error message says that an error log is being created (which I cannot ever find, by the way).  In playing with some of the .ini and .dat files, etc., I have figured out that the file is coming through with a "Time" value, but a "Dur" value of 00:00.  I can use another transcription software to hear the file, but it is not nearly as user friendly as ES.

Guest Guest_Stephen_*

I posted the original complaint on this issue, back in 12/04. I followed all instructions I subsequently received and I am having almost no more problems. Every once in a while I will load a file and it will close ExpressScribe immediately. I have almost always been able to solve this problem by reloading the original file. A couple of times that did not work, and this is what I did:

I loaded the file onto my computer and played it back with the Phillips software. I recorded it back onto my Phillips 9350, essentially making a copy. This degrades the sound quality a bit, but the new recording has worked in both cases and is still audible. This is of course a great hassle but a) it very rarely happens and B) it is easier than re-dictating a long report. And it seems to isolate the problem in the file itself - some little thing may sometimes get lost in transit that corrupts it. I don't know, it's beyond me, but rest assured if you get past this you will once again love ExpressScribe and be thankful for it.

• 4 weeks later...
I am having the exact same problem. I just installed this program and downloaded all the newest updates and I cannot play anything. The files I just received all indicate 00:00 as the duration. Now what? I don't have other transcription software and I need to do these ASAP.

If you want the dss issue resolved, please email me at satish111@gmail.com

• 1 month later...