How to label, name or flag edited clips

Nigel Copage

After editing my original video clips I have some 60 edited clips in the bottom (Storyboard) panel.

But these are no longer labelled with the original clip filename and the only way to tell them apart is by the clip duration.

So when going through the clips (for example to find ones which are similiar) I have to refer to them by the duration:  06.304, 09.524, 07.487 etc  And of course if I re-edit these clips the duration may change which makes it hard to keep track.

Is there any way to label or name edited clips to make it easier to sort them?    Or at least to mark/tag several clips which can be grouped together?   When processing multiple photos in Lightroom it is easy to flag similiar photos - is there anything like this for edited clips in Videopad?

Thanks Borate - that helps a bit.  At least it tells me the original source of an edited clip.

Maybe such a feature could be incorporated into future versions of Videopad.  Or perhaps I am the only uesr who would find it useful to name or flag edited clips.

Hi

In both Storyboard mode and Timeline mode  you can right click the TN and then Properties. The name of that particular clip(or parent clip)  is at the top of the window that comes up. Unfortunately the name cannot be changed here.

As Borate mentions you can rename the clips directly in the bin and this name is transferred to that clip (and its edited parts on the timeline)  but this doesn't allow you to rename sub clips which AFAIK is not possible. (Separate edited bits all retain the parent clip name) and hovering the mouse over the clip on the timeline display will show the parent clip name.

If you right click a clip on the timeline and select Show Original Clip. That clip is highlighted in the bin which might be of some use. (Best seen in List view)

Nat

Thanks Borate and Nationalsolo.   Now I know how to easily show the original/parent clip although sometimes I have multiple edited clips from the same parent so this doesn't distinguish between them.

To clarify my problem let me explain what I am doing now.  Having taken 60 or so clips with my drone of a mountain village I go though and edit the best parts with the result that I have up to a hundred edited clips.  I need to identify those which are similiar (eg flying over the village church) so I can position them next to each other and easily compare them.

My method at the moment is to preview and write out a list of the edited clips (identified by duration) with a brief description of each.  I then know that the ones with the church are those of length 8.241, 6.496, 7.847, 5.275, 11,386 etc.  Then I have to find these clips among the hundred and move them so they are side by side and easily compared.  Of course if I re-edit a clip i have to keep a note of the new duration and it is easy to lose track.  This is a tedious process and I am sure there should be an easier way.  It would help if I could label my edited clips (eg ch1, ch2, ch3 etc) or or at least just give them simple numbers.  I will follow Borate's advice and submit a suggestion but for now I am struggling every time I go on a photoshoot.

Method one...

Create a new folder 'Church' by clicking the yellow folder with the green + sign, at the right  image.png

Return to the main folder by clicking the yellow folder icon with the green return arrow, at the far left.

Right-click on the main clip in the bin and COPY.

Return to the church folder and use <ctrl-V> to quickly paste as many copies as you think you will need (you can always add or subtract later).

Ignoring the main clip in that folder, click each copy in turn and set START and END points.  image.png

Those will be the 'Church' snippets in a single folder.   Do the same for each category.

You can rename each bin clip via right-click or jot down the content of each by its number - (1), (2), (3), etc.

Mousing over a clip in a folder will reveal its # and duration.  Later, select a folder, select clips, drop them into the timeline where desired.

Method 2...

Split out a specifically categorized clip from the main video on the timeline.  Drag it to the bin.  Split out another.  Do the same ... and so forth.

Drag all the incrementally numbered clips to the folder that you have created as described above.  Then repeat for other categories.

When done, clear the timeline and use the trimmed bin clips to build the final project.