Purge Unused Media from Bins

icemel

Looking for quick way to remove all unused media from media bins, either in a project or via saving/exporting project with (only the used) media. Is this possible or is it a manual operation? (100s of slides unused!) 

With the focus on the bin, press <ctrl-A> to copy all.

Press the <del> key or right-click on a selected clip and DELETE.

A prompt appears.  Check the "do the same" box, then click CANCEL.

If you make a mistake, press <ctrl-Z> or EDIT | UNDO.

Hi

Further to this ....

With the display set in a "normal" preview window size arrangement this method will remove the unused clips from only the one bin displayed and will need repeating for each bin in turn.

However if you drag the preview screen(s) as wide as possible by dragging the vertical white bar to the left all the bins will display one under the other as they all become narrow with a vertical scroll bar to the right instead of at the top. It's easier to see if  you switch to List view ........ 

zz.jpg

The Ctrl+A step will now highlight all the bins together. The method (using Cancel) will now remove unused clips from all the bins in one go. The exception will be the sequence bin.(You can't delete a sequence if it is the last one,) so simply skip that when it is prompted.

Nat

Hi Mel

It's been put forward as a possible enhancement possibly making it more intuitive or even adding a right click menu item to the bin area. (e.g. Delete unused clips from the bin)

Another point I mentioned was that whilst the TN view shows which clips in the bin(s) are marked as used with a green tick, the List view  doesn't show this although in very early VP versions I feel certain they were. It would be nice to keep some continuity across the displays.

Nat

• 1 year later...
On 6/23/2021 at 4:20 PM, icemel said:

"all the bins in one go"
even cooler! Thanks Nat. Luckily I only had about 10 bins this time.

Maybe this will become a feature someday vs what seems to be a handy hack.

Hi Mel, now I was just looking for this feature. I finished a project so creating a backup without bloating it with my unused files would be great indeed.