How to remove jarring sound from piano recording please?

Fiona-w

Hi - I'm completely new to sound editing so please bear with me. I have an old mp3 recording of my daughter playing the piano that I'd like to clean up and use as the music track to a dance video of her sister that has just been professionally filmed.  The piano playing is good and appropriate music for the dance but there are some jarring vibration sounds on some notes (sorry this is so vague, I'm not sure how to even describe them properly) that I'd love to remove, as they distract from the recording quality but I don't know how to do it.  It's not possible to re-record the music and I need to submit it very quickly, so I'm asking here if anyone could advise me on what elements of WavePad I could try using to improve things.  I know this is a very clumsy request but needs must!  Thanks very much in advance for any help from anyone as to how I can soften the occasional 'jar' ... 

8 hours ago, Fiona-w said:

Hi - I'm completely new to sound editing so please bear with me. I have an old mp3 recording of my daughter playing the piano that I'd like to clean up and use as the music track to a dance video of her sister that has just been professionally filmed.  The piano playing is good and appropriate music for the dance but there are some jarring vibration sounds on some notes (sorry this is so vague, I'm not sure how to even describe them properly) that I'd love to remove, as they distract from the recording quality but I don't know how to do it.  It's not possible to re-record the music and I need to submit it very quickly, so I'm asking here if anyone could advise me on what elements of WavePad I could try using to improve things.  I know this is a very clumsy request but needs must!  Thanks very much in advance for any help from anyone as to how I can soften the occasional 'jar' ... 

Hi!

You may send us the file by using a cloud storage service (Google Drive/DropBox/WeTransfer/etc.) of your choice then please send us the transfer link so that we may be able to access the files.

We'll need to hear the audio to gauge what possible methods can be done to restore/improve the state of the recording. You may post the link here or send a private message.

1 hour ago, Fiona-w said:

That's great - thank you so much.  Hopefully this will work for you:-

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/43acce55fd3c11b705d47a0b9f2fac5c20210622221035/e7d6efcebe51228404ec7d26af59d6d820210622221035/b0b041

Fingers crossed!

Hi Fiona,

Thanks for sending this over. I've taken a listen to it and I've imported it to both WavePad and a more in-depth spectral audio editor as well.

I understand that there are some parts wherein it seems that the vibrations (especially for louder and lower notes on the piano) seem to be more apparent, but unfortunately, due to the overall resolution of the audio recording, making surgical adjustments to it would only sound unnatural and would be very obvious.

For this case, I would suggest that you import the file on WavePad and apply these subtle compressor settings just so that sudden volume spikes can be minimized, and there is an overall control in the dynamics.

Applying a subtle effect on the entire thing to generally improve its quality would be better than surgically focusing on a specific part and making the adjustments obvious.

Thanks for sharing such a special recording of your daughter's performance!

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 7.26.25 AM.png

Hi EIB,

I'm very grateful to you for looking at this for me so quickly.  I understand what you say and will apply your suggestion when I get home ... it is a special recording for obvious reasons!  Many thanks for your work and advice and I'm looking forward to exploring, and become more familiar with, the new world of WavePad🙌 

2 hours ago, Fiona-w said:

Hi EIB,

I think I've done what you suggested - here's the result which I certainly find less 'tinny' on the problem notes, so many thanks for your help and advice!

Best wishes,

Fiona 

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/552ff342ae6f531055add38598a1c2fc20210623211927/7b025aff4f02db63b8e2e4deba6d7b4f20210623211927/b1c527

That's great to hear, Fiona!

Stay safe and healthy.