copying left channel to right channel (simulated stereo)

dharmalady

Back in 1971, my brother recorded my senior year band concert.  I played the slush pump (trombone).  It took place in the gymnasium on the floor.  The mics were on the stage a long way from the music.  Because it was recorded so far away, it wasn't exactly stereo.  At one point for some dumb reason I just eliminated one track, thus making it mono.  Would it be possible to copy the one track to the other on the same mp3?  Can you do such a thing?

On 6/20/2021 at 9:42 AM, dharmalady said:

Back in 1971, my brother recorded my senior year band concert.  I played the slush pump (trombone).  It took place in the gymnasium on the floor.  The mics were on the stage a long way from the music.  Because it was recorded so far away, it wasn't exactly stereo.  At one point for some dumb reason I just eliminated one track, thus making it mono.  Would it be possible to copy the one track to the other on the same mp3?  Can you do such a thing?

Hi,

In theory, duplicating on mono file then fully panning one track to the left and panning one track to the right then exporting it as a stereo would technically turn it into a stereo file, but it won't have the same stereo audio image as a true stereo file.

If there's absolutely no way to retrieve the lost track/channel, your best bet would be to do the steps mentioned earlier and then use a third party stereo widening/imager plugin, but this will only attempt to SIMULATE true stereo.

On 6/20/2021 at 10:55 PM, EIB said:

Hi,

In theory, duplicating on mono file then fully panning one track to the left and panning one track to the right then exporting it as a stereo would technically turn it into a stereo file, but it won't have the same stereo audio image as a true stereo file.

If there's absolutely no way to retrieve the lost track/channel, your best bet would be to do the steps mentioned earlier and then use a third party stereo widening/imager plugin, but this will only attempt to SIMULATE true stereo.

I understand that it wouldn't be "true" stereo.  I just downloaded this program and still trying to figure it out.

In WavePad you may simply click on the channel description (Mono) at the lower part of the program's window, then select Stereo as the channels and click on Convert.

Attached is a screenshot showing the steps. 

WavePad.png