Distortion- Black pixelated line appears on some frames at the top and immediately dissipates

Steve1124

I recorded on ZOOM ( done it many times for the past few months without any issues..) when exporting it on VideoPad, on some frames, there is a black line/distortion that disappears 3 or 4 seconds later. I called NCH Support, they suggested to use STRETCH when exporting but that does not solve the issue....any thoughts? I updated the to the newest version, and upgraded to a support pkg so I can call etc, but I have not been able to fix this issue.....HELP!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are your export settings?  What version is being used (look at the left-bottom of the VP window)?

The way to solve this is to share.  It's easy, can be private and takes only minutes.  Someone will be glad to help.  Just follow these steps carefully...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

• borate changed the title to Distortion- (Black pixelated line appears on some frames) at the top and immediately dissipates

Little can be determined as submitted because the errors are already encoded into the Act 1 (Complete edit) clip.

What we need to see is the project that built Act 1.

You might try exporting Act 1 - all the clips, effects, transitions, etc. that were on the timeline when editing for it was completed - using the latest version.            Yours is dated.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

It this doesn't clear up the issue, please submit the project that built Act 1.

Thank you for your help but....

Since this is a theatrical presentation recorded on zoom in different sessions, I had to cut and insert different takes.  It appears that these distortions appear in speaker view frames only. 

I tried again to re-upload a session and I still am getting the distortion even with the new version.  Our presentation is set for this weekend and I am afraid to put out a product with those distortions.

This is very frustrating

S

Wish we could help more, but without seeing the project that created the issue there's little to diagnose.  What's needed is the saved folder of the sequence - with all its elements as they appeared on the timeline prior to the distortion.

It might prove helpful if you could upload the specific 'speaker' clips that later distorted.  We'll check them out.

Upload the file/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

What are your export settings?  What version is being used (look at the left-bottom of the VP window)?

Here is the link with the original source material for the first set of distortions.

Please look at time count: 58:14 for one of the errors.

I have already answered the questions about the export settings and the version.  But again the version is 10.48

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ej8iILc77imVfuULyVVwiATGN6znVIm-/view?usp=sharing

I have given you permission to view the link..

Thank you

S. Scovasso

Don't spot a mention of export settings, but it's good that you upgraded to 10.48.  The latest is 10.49, but there should be little difference between it and 10.48.

In your original clip of the man pictured, as played in a viewer, there is video noise around the hair and image borders, and color fluctuation throughout...

image.png

Perhaps other performers fare similarly.  Yet they display the same in both Videopad and the viewer.   This hints that the key was poor in the original and is somehow being exacerbated via the editing process.  Hopefully, they are not being re-keyed during edit.

Export of this performer at default settings looks identical to the source, using version 10.49 (64-bit).

Any effect, such as a chromakey (green screen) or overlay that would further degrade the content.  Have you applied any effects to the scene?

As noted, the export here - butted to a few other random clips - looks just like the source material.  The only 'distortion' is that seen in the original.

• borate changed the title to Distortion- Black pixelated line appears on some frames at the top and immediately dissipates

The distortion is obvious, but cannot be replicated here.  Confirm that the video driver and Direct-X are up to date...

https://www.nch.com.au/kb/10265.html

Without seeing the project that created the clips that are distorting it's doubtful that the cause can be tracked down - either here or by NCH.

Using the latest version, please load the clips, effects, transitions, etc. of the completed sequence that looked clean on the timeline.  Then follow the instructions given earlier to share the project folder.  Someone will definitely look into it.

OK,

I have uploaded 7 minutes using the original source material on Microsoft Movie maker which uploaded without a problem.  I then uploaded that output to NCH and if you look the file that has NCH, at 1:27, 1:44, 2:34 , 3:05, 3:35 and you will notice the distortion.  I am attaching the link for each so you can see what is happening. 

I do not know what else to show you to help you understand what is occurring. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KQDAEUgUOqYsjysjUXySaMl5fWyMaWVp/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11MnsoAaIah_QrSmVWu0gMTEVsta8OIVS/view?usp=sharing

Please help me understand what is going on

Thank you

Steve

Yes, your Movie Maker output looks clean.   The VP video has distortion.  If the MM clip is loaded into VP (complete with watermarks) it exports fine.

The only way to track this down is for us to see the files or complete project PRIOR TO export.

Submit the content that you loaded into Videopad - before export - by simply uploading that content to the server.  Get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here.

Your above linked result doesn't help, because that's the result of exporting, so the errors are already there.  If you edited the project in Videopad, submit that completely edited sequence, before export.

To share a completely edited project, do not export it.  Just follow these steps to upload the project back up file..  THEN we can see what you see on the timeline - clean clips - and test an export to try to replicate your results.

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Perhaps there is a breakdown in communication here.  Your most recent link is just another copy of the MovieMaker output (with watermarks) that you had already shared.  It has no errors, even after being loaded into Videopad 10.49 and exported.

Apparently, that project was first edited in MovieMaker - with all its boxes and effects.  Later, perhaps because of the watermarks, you sought to edit it in Videopad.

It's that point PRIOR TO EXPORT that is needed.  Your edited timeline.  That's what backing-up the project does - packages all the source files, effect instructions, tracks.  Clicking on the VPJ file that is saved in the back up will reload the project for further editing or export.

Do not export.  Follow the share project instructions.

If this isn't the way the project was created, please explain step-by-step, just how it was done and in what program it was edited.

Let me explain....

I wanted to see if the problem with my computer,  so, tonight, a friend send me Moviemakerto see their export. I loaded the original source into Moviemaker to see if there were distortions upon their export.  I don't think you understand that I just did it this evening to see what the result was. 

I then took the uploaded result from Moviemaker, which was clean except for the water mark, I loaded  that into NCH Videopad and exported that.  As you an see it exported with distortions which can only lead me to conclude that the problem is with NCH. 
I cannot understand why you keep asking me to load the original. 

For the sake of this problem, Let us say that the Moviemaker excerpt is the original source.  I do not know how to make it clearer to you.

The watermark is not a problem in that I was just using MOVIEMAKER as a tool to see if the problem was in my computer.

That experiment only confirms that the problem is in NCH software and I am asking you to please find out where it is.

In this case you have what you asked for.  Consider the Moviemaker excerpt the source.

Thank you

It's clear to me now, but it didn't sink in earlier, that this is a single ZOOM session clip, as you first noted, and not an edited project.  My error.

Let's agree that My Movie Trial 0 is the original.  It is clean, but for the watermark, as is its export from Videopad. The My Movie Trial clip also exported without problems.

Despite repeated tests, the issue cannot be replicated here in 10.48 or 10.49, 32-or 64-bit, whether export is lossless or re-encoded.  This hints that VP is not the culprit.  But perhaps the way it performs on your PC is??   Can you test this on another PC?

What are the specs of your PC:   CPU/GPU/RAM?     Did you verify that the PC video driver and Direct-X are up to date?

Hi

I downloaded the My Movie_trial_0.mp4. This .mp4 video (presumably exported via MM) played generally OK in VLC and the only thing noted was that  around (1:50) the character in the centre lower frame as well as when the character transferred to the top right of the screen there was a degree of speckling left and right of the image............ 

zzz.jpg

zz.jpg

There were also some slight colour changes with this image.  This suggests that the original camera source for that character was compromised.  The problem may also have originated with Zoom itself or with the PC link from that particular performer.

When loaded to VP the clip downloaded and previewed exactly in the same way. There was no exacerbation of the problem.

An H264 HQ 1280 x 720 . mp4 exported from VP 10.49 (32) played exactly like the original downloaded MM mp4. They both (MM and VP) looked pretty much the same.

Nat

Thank you for your note but you neglected to mention the large black distortions on the NCHVP version and only mentioned the small distortions on the one screen.

Could you please try to explain those large distortions that were on the Videopad copy that were not on the original.

Thank you

S

Hi Steve

"....you neglected to mention the large black distortions on the NCHVP version and only mentioned the small distortions on the one screen....."

:)I didn't mention these as I didn't see them. Sorry!:mellow:  I only downloaded your MM  My Movie_trial_0.mp4.  version. (The single link in your post above)

I am presuming your VP export that showed  problems was made with this version. That being the case, I simply exported it as well and then checked for the same problems. As I mentioned......

1. In the VLC player your downloaded MM version looked  OK with only the images of the one character (shown below) showing some speckling to right and left and in the corners from time to time with slight colour changes as shown here...
  2. z.jpg 
  3.  There were no gross distortions, similar to those shown on  images in earlier posts This was the raw downloaded .mp4 clip. (No connection with VideoPad at this end)
  4. When loaded to VP    and previewed  the downloaded .mp4 previewed in exactly the same way as it played in  VLC. No difference was noted with the VP preview  and when it played in VLC. The clips of the same character on screen showed the speckling and colour changes but no gross distortions. 
  5. The .mp4 was then exported via VP as an HQ H264 .mp4 video. This played in VLC exactly in the same way as the original MM video that was downloaded. Just some speckling of the clips produced by the same character. No large distortions....:mellow:   So I am still of the opinion that the speckling originated with the Zoom program or the link used by the character in the presentation.

So, again,  I couldn't reproduce any of the distortions mentioned.

At this end VP worked exactly as expected and reproduced a exact copy of the clip you uploaded.

Nat

Yes, there are obvious distortions in your export.  But not in ours.

Here, every video that you supplied has been exported - and showed no distortion whatsoever. V10.48 and 10.49.  Nat's test confirm this.

Neither of us has been able to replicate what you see. 

So, again, perhaps the issue is being caused by the way VP interacts with your computer.   Test it on another PC, if possible.

What are the specs of that PC:   CPU/GPU/RAM?     Did you verify that the PC video driver and Direct-X are up to date?

Upload the entire original ZOOM completed clip (no watermark) and we will make it available on a server for you.