Basic Question -- hard to figure out

Barrister

I have one video.  I want to take multiple pieces out of it to place on the sequence timeline.  The first is no problem.  Set the start and end points, wala.  

Now, how about the second?   If I try to move the setstart or setend brackets on the clip, the clip in the sequence changes with it....   

Why is this so hard?   The method to do this is not obvious.  I'm sure I'm too dumb to see it, so here I am asking.

Thanks in advance,

Barrister

Do it this way...

Import the master clip to the bin (top-left) and select (highlight) it.  Don't trim it.

Press <ctrl-C>  Same as EDIT | COPY.

Click an open area of the bin.

Press <ctrl-V>  Same as EDIT | PASTE.  Make as many copies as you will be needing to trim.

Each numbered copy in the bin can then be individually trimmed with SET START, SET END and dropped onto the timeline.

Hi

Here's another..

• Place the video on Track 1
  • Play to the start of first section and split the track
  • Play to the end of the section and split the track
  • Grab the section and drag it vertically to Track 2
  • Do the same for all the other required sections.
  • Right click at the head (left end) of Video Track 1 and Delete the track
  • Right click the head (left end) of Audio Track 1 and Delete the track
  • Close the gaps in Video Track 2

Your selected clips are now all together with their sound on Video Track 2

PS you can do this reversing the tracks so the final cut is left on Video Track 1

Nat

• 3 months later...

I thought I would follow up on this thread for others trying to get used to Videopad.  Another way to insert a second clip from the same video file is to click on your original video file BEFORE you start moving the start and end points.  You will forget, you will screw up your clips, so this isn't the best method, but you do have the undo feature. 

In my view this is a serious flaw in the software, in that it is not intuitive how to extract multiple small parts out of one long video to the timeline.  A 'next clip' button would be nice.  

Yes, that's one approach, though it won't create individually trimmed clips in the bin and can prove confusing.

As noted above, one alternative...

Import the master clip to the bin (top-left) and select (highlight) it.  Don't trim it.

Press <ctrl-C>  Same as EDIT | COPY.

Click an open area of the bin.

Press <ctrl-V>  Same as EDIT | PASTE.  Make as many copies as you will be needing to trim.

Each numbered copy in the bin can then be individually trimmed with SET START, SET END, renamed if desired, and dropped onto the timeline.

And another method that also works well...

Place the master clip on the timeline and split out the desired sections.  Drag each to the bin where they will be incrementally numbered.  Hover the pointer over the bin clip if necessary to see the (1), (2), etc. numbers.  The clips will vanish from the timeline.

Then drop the trimmed clips back into the timeline where desired.  The individual clips will remain in the bin, so the result is much the same as the first method.