Video Track Layer cuts a frame too early

gdog

v10.35 I've had this as a recurring problem on previous versions too. When I have two video tracks on top of each other ending at the same cut mark, on export, the cut removes video track 2 a frame too early.  When I move both tracks up a layer, the export flashes a black frame.

And when I'm editing, when I drag the timeline forward over to the next connecting clip, it still shows the previous clip for a few frames in the preview window. This too has happened with previous versions.  I've reported both issues on this forum before and it sill persists.

Unable to replicate that behavior here.

Update to this version.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

If the issue persists, report back.

I DM shared you an example.  To duplicate this bug, get two video clips and an image. Dump both clips on video track 1. Place image on video track 2, ending where clip 1 ends. Move clip two out a bit. And snap it back to connect.  Now despite what the editor shows, when you drag the timeline, in the preview window, clip 1 extends a few frames into clip 2.  Additionally, the extended frame bug shows up on export.

Hi gdog

Sorry, I can't find a problem here. With the setup you describe, dragging the Time line cursor along to the right always cleanly  moves the Sequence Preview  to Clip 2. 

The only thing possibly a little incorrect (but it's not a problem) is that whichever part of the timeline has the focus, Clip 1 or the image on track 2, and you then drag the Clip Preview  cursor line along to the right to review it , when it gets to the end,  the Sequence Preview shows the first frame of Clip 2 even though, on paper you haven't actually got to clip 2. To my way of thinking it ought to simply stop with the last frame of the clip being reviewed. But as i said it's not a problem.

Are you certain that the image on Track 2 is actually ending at the join and not a few frames to the left of it?  Try dragging the image on Track 2 back left a little and then along to the right again....you should see a white dotted vertical line appear at the join when it gets into the "snapping zone"

z.jpg

If snapping is enabled there should be an area of two or three frames (Perhaps more) either side of the join where it will snap into position to the dotted line.

Why is there a need to move Clip 2 a bit and let it snap back? Both clips link together with no problem on being dropped onto Track 1. There seems to be no overlap or gap. 

I'm using VP 10.43

Nat

Hi

Didn't see this with my version but if you drag the image on track 2 back to the left out of the way then move the timeline cursor over to the middle of clip 2  and then use II< to step back to the join do you get the same position value under sequence window if you do the same with image snapped to the join? i.e. is the right hand end of the image on Track 2 the same value as the join on Track 1

Nat

My timeline cursor is at the clip edge between clip 1 and clip 2. Once I drag the image on track 2 out of the way, the sequence preview shows the first frame of clip 2.  Once I drag the image snapping back in place, the sequence preview shows a frame of clip 1, ie extends clip 1 over a few frames into clip 2 (not showing in editor timeline but showing up in sequence preview).

Hi

Error noted using your clips. My own clips work OK. tried various combinations and only found the spurious frame when your Clip 1 and Clip 2 were used. It gave the same result when the blank image was changed for my own image etc. Also showed the fault when the timeline was set up with your files without using the vpj. Odd result though after snapping using your files..

z.jpg

Cursor line clearly over Clip 2 but Clip 1 is displayed in the Sequence preview.

As Borate has reported this perhaps NCH can fathom it out.

Nat

It's likely a little bug that will be fixed.  To re-encode, add a file into VP, then export @ 24fps with Windows 9 encoder.  Or create files with WM 9 (or another format).  Check out PRISM.  Noted on the original files:  no bit rate mode (constant or variable) is listed.  The re-encoded files list constant.

1.jpg

Tested many other formats for clips one and two and could not replicate the issue.  Yet, reportedly, this can happen if the second clip is previously cut where a frame starts.  The simplest fix is to overlap the content on track 2, or extend it slightly.

Another approach would be to expand the track with the slider at the bottom-right, then split-out and delete the unwanted frame/s.

In this example, the 'flash' of clip 1 is just above the gap in the audio track, though the thumbnail displays clip 2.     image.png