Imported Clips Endless Buffering

rideforever

If I add several clips from youtube and other places, the clips go through a kind of prescanning process and over the clip it says 10% ... 20% ... 30% ... until it is complete.

But sometimes this process does not end and instead it seems to restart ... so it might go up to 40% and then restart at 0% and cycle like that.

Over time the clips that are not being prescanned successfully start to drain processing time and slow down the system.   And if important a large number it can hang the system.

Most likely this is due to errors in downloaded clips that are used.

But other software deals with this in a pragmatic way.  For instance AVS editor is still able to use these clips even if there are errors in them and successfully publish them.  It is fault tolerant for imperfect video clips, being able to import them successfully and use them.

Is there a workaround for this?  Or perhaps this is a suggestion to you?

Thanks

It is really high quality software but without this problem fixed I can't use it.

What version is being used on what platform:  Windows or Mac?   What are the PC specs:  CPU/GPU/RAM/free space on C:\?

Allowing clips to fully cache should eliminate buffering.  On lengthy, high-def projects this can take some time.

Install this release and see if caching improves.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

If no improvement,  please share a file or two that has the issue.  Someone will check it out.  Upload the files/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary changed "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

@borate

Hey ... I am not sure that change answers the problem.

The problem is that some videos you download from video sharing have damage in them, timestamps or whatever that are wrong.  And Videopad does not deal with that.  It does not fail gracefully, it just keeps circulating 0% 10% 20% ... then 0% 10% 20% ... 

The caching function does not deal with errors in the videos.

As I said AVS does deal with it, not only by not slowing down during caching, not endlessly caching and you can actually still use the videos even with errors.

Furthermore, OpenShot also deals gracefully with this situation.   AVS/OS both check files on import (rejecting some of them) but once in the application they do not hang on caching and can use the videos for export.

So VideoPad would therefore need to recognize failed caching and stop caching and then use a secondary system on that clip for the rest of the project.

Caching is done differently in videopad then in AVS/OS.

This is a common problem, in the past if I have downloaded say 50 or so clips  from various sites on the web then about 5% have this problem.  The caching continues and eventually hangs the application.

It is quite common so I won't be providing a clip at least not right now ... as I am not editing much at the moment.  But it is common for this type of editing.

Without seeing a clip, which can be shared via a Private Message, little can be inspected.  Again, see if the version linked above handles things differently.  You did not mention the version being used;  significant changes have been incorporated in recent months.

No reports of 'hung' caching come to mind.  Had there been, they would have been addressed.

It's apparent why you are not keen to share the files for testing, and you make no mention of the means employed to download them.

Not withstanding the disparity that you cite, the downloader itself is suspect.  Try a high-quality video capture program, such as Debut.  The result when loaded into VP should be free of these errors.