Zoom Effect Does Not Fill Frame

JeremyP1990

Whenever I used older versions of VideoPad, I would set the zoom effect parameters and the clip would display just fine. |It filled the frame just as I wanted.

Now when I click zoom effect in the newest version, all it does is shrink the size of the clip and create black bars across the frame instead of filling it.

To top it off,  in the exported video where the black bars are, it shows a still image of the last clip... This makes no sense to me.

What version?  Install this one.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Note the ZOOM Aspect Ratio drop-down menu.  Also try the SCALE effect.

Please share the image in question and indicate what area is to be zoomed.  Someone will check it out...

Just upload the file/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.

Using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

• 1 month later...

I just upgraded my Videopad from 5.xx to the latest, and the Pan & Zoom effect has gone crazy. I have one clip which is a long horizontal image which I used to zoom from left to right within a 16:9 frame, but when using the upgraded software the frame now forced to the proportions of the original image (something like 4:1) and cannot be adjusted to fit the full screen (see screenshot here). Is there a new setting which I have to adjust to allow the frame to be unlocked from its original proportions? I have the same problem with a later sequence using a vertical pan going up a very tall portrait layout image.

I'm starting to regret paying for the upgrade. It was working fine previously.  Thankfully I had already created the video prior to upgrading so I still have the results I wanted: https://www.ergo-travel.com//APICS/GreatArtCities-promo3.mp4
(horizontal pan at 0:31s, vertical pan at 0:50s)

Hi

If you have a wide horizontal image and want to pan across it  and retain a full screen then use just the Zoom Effect with key frames.

If you want full screen AR 16:9 then set that value. Steps would be..

• Click the FX box for the clip
  • Select the Zoom effect
  • Set Zoom AR from the list to 16:9
  • Move the red effect cursor line on the graph to the far left (for a left-right pan) which is the start of the clip
  • Adjust the rectangle to outline the area required. This will be the start frame. If you use dual previews then you will see exactly what the effect will be, You can set these with Options/Display
  • When you are happy with the result click the Set Keyframe tab. This the start of the pan
  • Move the red cursor line across the effect graph page to the far right which is the end of the clip
  • Adjust the rectangle again if required (You may want your pan to zoom in or out as well as pan) otherwise keep the size values for the rectangle the same as at the start. Keep the height vale the same.
  • Create a second Key frame. this will be the end of the pan.... e.g....

Keyframe 1

xx.jpg

Keyframe 2

xxx.jpg

When played the clip will pan from left to right (in this example) keeping a full screen AR of 16:9. as seen in the Sequence Preview window on the right.  The speed of pan will be relative to the duration of the clip. An image can be pulled out along the timeline to slow the pan down or it can be shortened to make the pan faster.

Using keyframes you can halt a pan at any point or make it start after an initial pause etc.

Unless you include them inside your rectangle setting, there will be no borders. Depending on the actual  AR of the clip you may lose some actual image. In the example shown the sky and grass has been cropped to allow a 16:9 frame to move a reasonable distance across the image. In this case making the 16:9 rectangle larger the pan would have been much shorter. You can, of course go back to the effect parameter window and alter the rectangle to suit.

Nat