How to add page of text with music to a video?

dee100

Hi,

There is nothing on internet showing how to do this, only, how to add text to the bottom of video screen.

I want to start and end with a page of text. This is not an intro/outro as video.

I am not very technical.  I have an mp3 file.

Please help!

thank you

The mp3 is a music or audio file, so place it on audio track 1.

Place the scrubber (red line) where you want the text to be, in relation to the audio.

Click the ADD TEXT button on the Home toolbar and compose the text.  There are buttons for positioning ... and text can be dragged in the preview window.

When you close the text compostion box, the text should appear in the video track - likely video track 2 - above the audio, at the point you chose.

It can be dragged left or right.  Change the length of the text clip by dragging its borders.

To superimpose text over an image or video, place that content on video track 1.  Higher tracks always take precedence over lower.

image.png             image.png

Hi again!

thanks!

Sorry, the mp3 isn't ready yet.

i did the above this morning, placing the but the text on track and tried track 2 but is super imposed on video itself...

I mean dragged it to track 3 and tried track 2 but is on video itself...

also, i clicked vertical center, but it is horizontal, too wide  and end of lines of text not visible.

The text will be superimposed over lower tracks.  If you want it instead to have a background, choose FULL BACKGROUND option in the text composition box.

image.png

If the text is too wide for the window, break it up with <enter> so it becomes mulitple lines.  Or reduce the font size.

image.png      image.png

Thanks, I've got page separate!

Can you please kindly let me know where "carriage returns" is located?

Reduced size to 8 , still too wide...

Size reduced to 3, still too wide...I copy pasted from a word doc.

Pressed enter is aligned in box but not on screen.

If there is lots of text you must break it up iinto mulitple lines by pressing <enter> for each break.

Or, to have the text AUTO wrap, use this free on-line tool.

HTTPS://GILLMEISTER-SOFTWARE.COM/online-tools/text/add-line-breaks_change-line-length.aspx

1.  Enter the text or paste it in from your WORD doc

2. Set the # of characters where the line should break

3. Press the Change Line Length button

4.  Press <ctrl-A> while focus is in the changed text window, to select all, then <ctrl-C> to copy

5.  Paste <ctrl-V> into the Videopad text window

Thanks for your patience< I got everything on the page, looks weird as is not centred but to the left....I can live that....now the page is showing but

1. set it to 20 secs but lasts 1 min 12 secs

2.while page is showing, can hear my voice (where music will go)...as video is starting...

any  ideas, please?

it seems to get more and more complicated...

In the text composition box there are icons that will justify the text - left, centered, right, top, middle, bottom...  image.png

And, as noted earler, text can be positioned by dragging it in the preview window. 

On the timeline, drag the borders of the text clip to any desired length.  Position the clip directly above the audio that is to be covered. 

image.png  

This text clip has been lengthened to match the length of the music clip so it will be visible for the entire duration of audio.

the audio is not ready yet

I am wanting to put 2 pages on the video, then the composer will make the music to match the lentgh of the pages duration, then he will send me mp3s.

If you leave the audio out of the equation, maybe, I will understand what you are saying...?

i placed the text clip above video track....

i have spent all day on these 2 pages, close to uploading video to video platforms without any editing as software not working for that either and without pages or music...

Place your text clips on the time liine.  Make each the desired length by dragging their borders and sliding them left or right along the timeline.  Clips can come one after another on the same track.

When that's done, export the project at default mp4 settings and mail or upload the file to a free server for the composer.  When he returns the music, place it on the audio track, lined up with the text files that you created.  Then the finished project can be again exported, uploaded to YouTube or otherwise shared.

To guard against losing your work, Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

Check out the Videopad tutorials.

Hi

Take it in stages to get used to how this behaves. Try something simple..

1.  Place a typical clip on Video Track 1...Its audio will appear on Audio Track 1. This is a basic video clip with audio. It appears you want to add a page of text to this. so..
  2. Click the Add Text tab and select the style of text from the choices shown.  For testing choose Simple Text Overlay. There is a default text. The text image will now appear on Video Track 2 at the cursor position and will have a duration determined by the default value set up in Options/Media/Still image duration but this is easily changed later.
  3. In the text editor, decide if you want your text justified left centre or Right; whether you want it to start at the top/middle or bottom of the screen using the controls mentioned by Borate. Mouse over the default text and set your font; colour; size etc. The clip on the timeline will update in real time and you will see what is happening in the Sequence Preview screen
  4. Type your lines of text into the editor and watch the preview so you can decide when to do a new line. (Press the Enter key to do this.) If things don't look as you want them decide what needs to be changed. Swipe all the text in the editor so it highlights and then make any changes. The text updates continually as you do this.

Note that the text is normally defaulted to a transparent background so the clip on Track 1 will be visible behind the letters. If you just want the text on a coloured background then open the editor once more and set the option as Borate explains above.

A simple text  image however has its limits and will hold only a certain amount of text or number of lines depending on the font size chosen. We are taking here about a simple IMAGE and that is all that will be seen when the video is played. If you have more text than you can fit onto the screen then you can obviously compose a second text image and place it on the track to follow the first and so on.

On the other hand you may want to have a very long block of text ,   too big to fit in the height of the screen. The only way to make this visible is to scroll it. Open the text editor and set the direction you want this to scroll. There are selections on the RHS of the editor window. VP will scroll the text no matter how large it is as it now behaves as an animated clip and not an image.

Monitor what you have by either playing the sequence or grabbing and moving  the red cursor line along the timeline to see how things are looking in the Sequence Preview screen. 

These is the basic steps to getting text up and running. Try it with something simple before thinking about more complicated scenarios. To lengthen the duration of the text image, grab the end of the clip on the track and drag it out to the right along the timeline. Being longer any scrolling you have set up will run more slowly

If you get stuck come back and ask.

Nat

Thanks

Why, when i follow your instructions, is my video playing over the text page?

The text page should have no sound, then followed after 20 secs, by me appearing, talking to camera.

Text page appears, and I can hear my voice saying hello to audience .

Since the text clip is a page in itself - not to be superimposed - it can be on the same track as the video.

Lay down the text clip.  Follow it with your video.  If on separate tracks, don't overlap the text and video clips.

An example:  A text clip plays for about one-second, then then video clip with audio plays...

image.png

The audio track under the text clip should be blank.  If it's not, delete the audio.

Hi

"......Why, when i follow your instructions, is my video playing over the text page?..."

Your video should not be playing over your text page. If you follow the basic instructions as set out in my post the text will play over (on top of) the video.

Your video clip will be on Video Track 1 and the Text clip on Video Track 2. .........Like this....

z.jpg

The text image/clip has to be placed on Video Track 2 and your video on Video Track 1.

All tracks above track 1 are Overlay tracks and unless they have transparent areas (chequered areas) they will obscure what is below. In the example above the simple text clip on Video Track 2 has a transparent background so the text is seen on top of the video on Video Track 1.

That, again is the basic setup however you say.........

"..... The text page should have no sound, then followed after 20 secs, by me appearing, talking to camera.Text page appears, and I can hear my voice saying hello to audience ...."

As explained by Borate above. If your text page is meant to be seen on its own,  set the background in the text editor to a Full  background colour and not the Editor background. The text image clip will now be a fully opaque image and although it can still be placed on the overlay track, your scenario won't need that. It can all be done on Video track 1...

It is pretty straightforward and will look a bit like this....

zzzz.jpg

Left to right..

Background video clip---Text Page 1 (20 seconds No sound)----You talking to camera with sound ---- Text Page 2 (20 seconds No sound)---- You talking  etc.

If you want your voice talking during the appearance of Text Page 2 then place the audio of you speaking under the Text Page 2......

zzzzz.jpg

Still no need for extra Video Tracks

Hope this helps

Nat

• 4 weeks later...